2015 October

Current Agenda:

Minutes Reading/Approval – Shannon Nissen

Treasurers Report – Jennifer Hellman




New Businesses

Business After Hours




Monday, October 12th, 6:00 PM at the Chamber Building


Members Present:

Jennifer Hellman

Heather DePriest

Sarah Pratt

Mitzi Cecrle

Kory Cecrle

Larry Surber

Brandon Nissen

Shannon Nissen


Guests Present:



Minutes were read and corrections noted. Larry moved, and Jenn seconded to approve the minutes.


Treasurer's Report


FB SBF $14,991.15

FB OPERATING $3,071.58


CHAMBER BUCKS $4,375 (not accurate)



Sugarbeet Festival numbers

Profit from SBF $15,628

Expenses $5,099.70 (not all in yet)

Sponsors $12,600

Vendors $1,285

BBQ $1,313


Jenn presented the bills to be paid. Shannon moved, and Mitzi seconded to pay the bills.


Fairgrounds – There is nothing new at this time. Heather will go to a meeting and get up to date on what is happening with the fairgrounds.


CTEP – This project is in process. Some spots of the sidewalks are uneven, but they are going to fix those areas. If they are not fixed, Mayor Hanson should be contacted.


New Businesses – There are several new businesses for the Chamber to contact. Just Us Construction, Aflac (Darrin Hamilton), Amanda Stroebe (The Shop), and Leve Jones (meat) are all relatively new businesses to Chinook. Just Us Construction would like to have a float in the Parade of Lights.


Business After Hours – The Senior Center put on a wonderful After Hours event. The soup was fantastic, and everyone enjoyed the music. The schedule remains pretty full, but February is open for anyone to host.


New Business:

Christmas Tree from Kathy Shupert Peterson – Kathy was looking for a tree she had to give to the Chamber, but she thinks that she must have sold it. Jenn has a tree that she could donate for the Chamber Building, or the Chamber could buy one at the Festival of Trees.


Tent Price – The Nicholson's would like to rent the tent in July. The possibility of the tent getting torn or ruined was discussed. Brandon moved, and Jenn seconded to rent the tent for $150 with a $1,500 deposit to cover the cost of a new tent should it be ruined.


Sugarbeet Festival Wrap-up – The Sugarbeet Festival turned out GREAT! Some thank yous need to be sent out to businesses/entities that helped during the festival. Several businesses let vendors plug in to their buildings for electricity. The Assembly of God church let the Chamber use their kitchen, and the Alliance church let the Chamber plug in. There are several suggestions for next year's Sugarbeet Festival, and they are being tabled until planning begins next year.


License Plate Fundraiser – Heather presented the idea of designing a state license plate with the Sugarbeeter mascot on it to raise money for the Chamber. Miles City has raised $300,000 in just two months with their license plate design.


Flashing Lights –The Montana DOT said that if they were already doing work in the area, they will put up lights.


Parade of Lights –Bonnie will run the parade this year. It would be nice to have some hot chocolate and Christmas music to get everyone in the spirit. The parade line up is at 5:30, and the parade starts at 6. There will be a large bill associated with replacing broken lights this year. There will be $600 in prizes for the best floats in the parade. Sarah moved, and Mitzi seconded the amount for prizes.


Festival of Trees –The possibility of having a prime rib dinner at the Eagles was discussed. The Eagles would put on the dinner and keep the profits from the dinner. The trees could be auctioned off in a live auction (Kevin Elias) to hopefully bring in more money. The businesses/individuals that donate the trees put a lot of money into decorating the trees, and they are not being sold for nearly as much as goes into them. Dinner will be at 7, and the auction will start at 8. The money will go to the Chamber until a decision is made about who to donate to.


Russ Sugarbeet vinyl for helping out –Russ donates sugarbeets for the festival. Heather will make a vinyl for him.


Meeting adjourned at 7:46.





Storage Units- We need to find a storage area for the Chamber’s items. Keith will be talking to the City to see how long we can keep them at the Armory.

Sandwich Board – We talked about making a few sandwich boards with some plywood – we inquired that maybe the school would be willing to make them if we asked. Heather will contact Robin about this project as well.

Grant Writing – Bridgette will get in touch with Heather once she is done with School.


Grants – Heather brought to the groups attention that there is a couple grants that may be worth looking into – one being Northwest Farm Credit Services Rural Community Grant Program. Heather has the paperwork if anyone is interested in writing it.


LARGE SUGARBEET STATUE - Colleen had brought a photograph of a large sugar beet that she had encountered in her travels and was wondering if something would be possible to add to our Visitors Center as a unique draw. We will be discussing later on when the building is complete and operational.

Notary Training
- Tabled at this time - do not know if we will have enough interest in it to justify bringing the trainer down.

Marquees - The PTO has decided to take some of the funds for the Marquees and use for another project. The Chamber decided to hold off on the marquees until we have a visitor’s center/rest area to place it at.

Lights on the Tower
Anita DePriest Magnuson sent Heather a cutout of a Newspaper Article from Junction City, Oregon where they have succeeded in lighting up their water towers with LED lights that can change and be programmed to move and rotate. It was agreed that it was a neat idea and would be tabled until we had available funding to do a project of that magnitude. Heather will contact Chuck and see if he is interested in spearheading the project. <http://junctioncity.kval.com/content/eugene-company-helps-light-junction-city-water-tower>.

Strategic Alliance of Montana Chambers - Heather contacted SAMC and notified them of our interest in the project. We will wait to hear from them on when we will be doing training in our area.

American Prairie Foundation
It was talked about at the meeting for our approach on this subject, and we decided to help encourage people to get educated on the subject and to express your opinion. The officers of the group decided to let the Stockgrowers and the CattleWomen do the public viewing of the movie with a speaker, etc. It was a unanimous opinion of the group that it will affect businesses and could directly affect each and every one of us. Heather will contact Lori Swanson.
Fran Hodgson sent Heather a link in July that showcased Cut Bank’s murals through town. She would like to suggest that Chinook look into it. The link is: <http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/92734869.html>. Tabled at this time.


Signs Outside of town

The signage has been tabled still since the input we received from Krystal Steinmetz regarding CTEP. Heather will work directly with Krystal on this project


Sugarbeet Festival Suggestions

Send Night at the Museum invitations to school on Friday with kids.

Move Night at the Museum to 8:30 or 8:00 p.m. instead of 9:00.

Make sure we talk to Finley's about shutting off lights at the store.

Seating on Main Street - possible bleachers?

When listing sponsors, put the Hi-Line Tavern Association instead of Mint Bar

In 2015, the BBQ served 200 people - should plan for 275ish.

Tables and chairs for people to sit and eat at during the day

Have all of the ribbons, Chamber Bucks, and coins in envelopes with event name, place, etc. before the event.

Have announcers stand separate from live music trailer if possible.

Order vinyl banner for Napa and Hi-Line Tavern Association when ordering banners (also NCMSGA and Cattlewoman).

Look-a-like contest should be discontinued.

Some sandwich boards should be made/purchased to place throughout the festival, directing participants to activities/events.

The music should be moved to the other side of the street (Finley's)

More helpers are needed, especially during the parade to keep kids from running into the street. Possibly contact volunteers from the membership drive.

About 30 more wasp catchers are needed.

One or 2 people should announce events all day long (Kevin Elias).

The Chamber would like to have 8 or 10 8 foot tables to put out.

Comments are closed.