2015 April

Current Agenda:

Minutes Reading/Approval – Shannon Nissen

Treasurers Report – Jennifer Hellman

Fairgrounds Improvements – Heather DePriest

CTEP – Heather DePriest/Keith Hanson

Weeds- Jennifer Hellman/Christian Lehnert

Bonus Books-Heather DePriest

Fundraiser IDEA- Brandon Nissen

Sugarbeet Festival-Mitzi Cecrle

Business After Hours - Jennifer Hellman

Tuesday meetings - Heather DePriest/Jennifer Hellman

Electric tongue jack - Jennifer Hellman/Heather DePriest

Pear Paw Roundup PRCA Rodeo - Jennifer Hellman


Wednesday, April 8th 2015, 6:00 PM at Rad’s Deli and Pizza


Members Present:

Jennifer Hellman

Heather DePriest

Tomi Simenson

Larry Surber

Bonnie Weber

Shannon Nissen

Brandon Nissen

Sarah Pratt


Guests Present:

Minutes were read and corrections were made.

Treasurers Report


FB SBF $8,779.81

FB OPERATING $9,301.32





Jenn presented bills to be paid.  Larry moved and Bonnie seconded to pay the bills.  Motion passed.



Fairgrounds – Nothing new at this time.

CTEP – The project is looking like it will start the first part of June.

Chamber Banquet: Because it was held on Easter weekend, there were not many members who attended. The group discussed other dates and things we could do to help get members there. We are planning for January or February for 2016’s banquet.

PA system: The new PA system worked great, had trouble with a little interference, but other than that it worked out nice. The total amount paid on the system was $782.96. This will come in very handy for future Chamber events.

Dedication for Volunteering: Tomi and Jenn met up with Mary to give her the plaque and flowers. She was very pleased to win the award.

Weed Control:  Jenn came up with a list of full members here in Chinook, and also listed ones with Storefront property. She compared it to Christian’s list, and there are some changes that need to be made. There are members on his list that are not members, so we need to get him an updated list. We will also need to find out how much it will cost the Chamber, and maybe get some donations to help out with the rising cost. Sarah moved to have the bigger business’s donate $40 and the smaller ones donate $20. Jenn second it.

Lights in the Tree: Heather spoke with the Miller’s and they removed the lights from the tree in Centennial Park, they will be sending us a bill.


New Business:

Bonus Books:  Heather presented the layout, we have quite a few so far and still have some coming in. The bids presented for printing were Blaine County Journal at $125 for 100 copies, and Floren’s was $189. Sarah moved to go with the Blaine County Journal, Jenn second it. Discussion was held about what to charge for the books. Bonnie moved to sell them for $20 and Tomi second it.


Mike Inman Thank you: Mike Inman donated his tickets to the Chamber for the comedy show, Tomi will be picking up a thank you from Shores for the board to sign.

Wreath: Anita Magnuson owns a mall in Spokane Washington which will be getting tore down. There are many artificial wreaths with lights, large Elves, and more Christmas items that would be great for the Parade of lights. She said we could have them if we can pick them up. It was decided that we would take the items when we found a ride for them.

Sugarbeet Festival- Themes were discussed for the Sugarbeet Festival. Ideas were Utilities and Railroad. It was also decided that we should find an assistant coordinator to help Mitzi out with all the preparations. Some names mentioned that might be able to help with the Railroad theme were the Warburton sisters, and Robert Smith. We will be taking an email vote at a later date to decide on theme.

Chamber Building: Larry mentioned that the car wash building may be open to rent, and may be an option for our Chamber Building. It would need some cleanup, but sounded like a good idea. Larry will be looking for into this.

Secretary Position: Nomination of Shannon Nissen for Secretary took place. Bonnie moved to nominate Shannon and Jenn 2nd it, motion passed. Shannon Nissen will be the new Secretary for the Chamber of Commerce.

Meeting adjourned at 7:20.

Next meeting is scheduled for May




Storage Units- We need to find a storage area for the Chamber’s items. Keith will be talking to the City to see how long we can keep them at the Armory.

Sandwich Board – We talked about making a few sandwich boards with some plywood – we inquired that maybe the school would be willing to make them if we asked.  Heather will contact Robin about this project as well.

Grant Writing – Bridgette will get in touch with Heather once she is done with School.


Grants – Heather brought to the groups attention that there is a couple grants that may be worth looking into – one being Northwest Farm Credit Services Rural Community Grant Program.  Heather has the paperwork if anyone is interested in writing it.

LARGE SUGARBEET STATUE - Colleen had brought a photograph of a large sugar beet that she had encountered in her travels and was wondering if something would be possible to add to our Visitors Center as a unique draw. We will be discussing later on when the building is complete and operational.

Notary Training
- Tabled at this time - do not know if we will have enough interest in it to justify bringing the trainer down.

Marquees - The PTO has decided to take some of the funds for the Marquees and use for another project. The Chamber decided to hold off on the marquees until we have a visitor’s center/rest area to place it at.

Lights on the Tower
Anita DePriest Magnuson sent Heather a cutout of a Newspaper Article from Junction City, Oregon where they have succeeded in lighting up their water towers with LED lights that can change and be programmed to move and rotate. It was agreed that it was a neat idea and would be tabled until we had available funding to do a project of that magnitude. Heather will contact Chuck and see if he is interested in spearheading the project. <http://junctioncity.kval.com/content/eugene-company-helps-light-junction-city-water-tower>.

Strategic Alliance of Montana Chambers - Heather contacted SAMC and notified them of our interest in the project. We will wait to hear from them on when we will be doing training in our area.

American Prairie Foundation
It was talked about at the meeting for our approach on this subject, and we decided to help encourage people to get educated on the subject and to express your opinion. The officers of the group decided to let the Stockgrowers and the CattleWomen do the public viewing of the movie with a speaker, etc. It was a unanimous opinion of the group that it will affect businesses and could directly affect each and every one of us. Heather will contact Lori Swanson.
Fran Hodgson sent Heather a link in July that showcased Cut Bank’s murals through town. She would like to suggest that Chinook look into it. The link is: <http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/92734869.html>. Tabled at this time.


Signs Outside of town

The signage has been tabled still since the input we received from Krystal Steinmetz regarding CTEP.  Heather will work directly with Krystal on this project


Comments are closed.