2014 February

Minutes February 12th, 6:00 PM Chinook Chamber Building

Current Agenda reads as follows:

Treasurers Report-Jennifer Hellman
Bear Paw Battlefield-Heather DePriest
Fairground Improvements-Heather DePriest
CTEP-Heather DePriest
Garbage Cans-Larry Surber
Membership letters-Tomi Simenson
Business after hours-Jennifer Hellman/Nancy Diemert
Chamber Billboard-Heather DePriest
Chamber Banquet-Tomi Simenson
Weed Spraying- Jennifer Hellman
Sugarbeet Festival Theme- Heather DePriest

Tomi Simenson
Jennifer Hellman
Heather Depriest
Keri Hanson
Bonnie Weber
Nancy Diemert
Max Hofeldt
Carol DePriest
Keith Hanson

Minutes were read and approved


Bear Paw Battlefield - Nothing new at this time.

Fairgrounds - Wendy Warburton will be coming to a future Chamber meeting to visit about the improvements we would like to see.

Garbage Cans
-Larry was not at the meeting to discuss the progress of this.


Bank Changes- Jennifer talked to Kathy Harbolt at Wells Fargo about the service fees we have been getting charged, Kathy said those should be getting waived and she was going to look into it further as why we are still getting charged these fees. Jennifer decided we would wait to use up the checks on this account before we talk about switching banks.

Weed Spraying-
Discussion was held about some of the problems we have had with the weed spraying such as receiving payment and the quality of the spraying. Jennifer visited with Max about some changes for this year such as prepaying and making sure the people spraying do a better job throughout town. Max will be looking into this further.

CTEP- The City had previously allocated 65,000 towards CTEP, but has since allocated the full $87,000 - Council approved full amount.  Four businesses’s forfeited their sidewalks to accommodate for the updated cost to do the sidewalks. The Chamber needs to donate funds to get the project complete, it was tabled for now - decided to vote on amount at next meeting - Keith will be arranging a meeting for the business owners to figure out how to handle this.

Business After Hours- Jennifer wrote up a letter to hand out and read to learn more about the After Hours program. The start date has been changed to April 10th and we are looking for someone to host the first one. Jennifer will be talking to Craig Lowham to see if First Bank would be interested. Tomi will send an email out to inform the Business’s about this program.

Chamber Membership- Tomi mailed off most of the letters for this year’s memberships, more letters needed to be printed; once they are ready they will be mailed out right away.

Chamber Banquet- Discussion was held about what is still needed to be done for the Banquet. Tomi will be contacting Val Frank to see if she is interested in Catering the event, if not the Eagles said they would, the meal is yet to be decided. Our budget for the meal was set for $10-$12 per plate, we will be voting on a menu at next meeting. Discussion was also held about what to do about a quest speaker; everyone will be coming up with some ideas and bringing them to the next meeting.

Chamber Billboard- It was decided that we would work on getting our “Welcome to Chinook” sign. Heather mentioned that American Garage would allow us to put up a vinyl sign for a year. Discussion was held about putting up a landscape sign, the minimum would be $6,000. Max moved to set up a savings account and start saving money to go forward with a sign, Keri second it. We will be setting the money into the BPCU Savings account.

Chinook Brochures- Heather and Jenn will be putting brochures in the All Class Reunion packets and did inventory on the brochures to see if anymore needed to be ordered, it was decided that we had enough.

Special Event Insurance- Approval was needed for the All Class to be allowed to use our insurance. Heather looked into the cost and said it would not make the cost go up. Bonnie made the motion to cover the event using our insurance and Max seconds it.

Resignation Acceptance- Since Nancy was not at our nomination meeting we needed her resignation acceptance for the Vice President position. Nancy accepted and will still be helping out with the Chamber.

Secretary Position- Discussion was held about payment for the Secretary position. In 2013 a motion was passed to pay the person in the Secretary Position $100/month. Jennifer is going to be talking to Kasie McIntosh to see what the best way is to pay that works well for the Chamber, for 2013 Tomi will be getting paid with Chamber bucks.

Christmas Lights-
Discussion was held about the Christmas lights in the tree at City park and removing them. The tree is growing around them and they aren’t in good shape, so we will check to see if Red Rock would help us remove them from the tree.

Visitors Guide-
Heather mentioned the ad is due for the Visitors Guide which is $400/year and if we wanted to do it again this year. Bonnie made the motion to do the ad and Jennifer seconds it.

Treasurers Report:
BPCU CTEP checking $14,669.05
BPCU Savings $25.05
SBF First Bank of MT $2,936.76
Wells Fargo Operating $7,417.89
Chamber Bucks -$2,505.00 (these are still out, have not been redeemed)
WF Christmas Lights $457.00
Wells Fargo Tables and Chairs $923.60

The Chamber was billed $200.00 from the Chinook Disposal Service for the Sugarbeet Festival. We were unaware that we would be billed for that service so Tomi will be checking with Rita to see what happened. We will also see if they will trade for a sponsorship for the 2014 festival.

Bills were read and approved.

Meeting adjourned at 8:00PM
Next meeting scheduled for March 12th at 6:00 PM at the Pastime.


Sandwich Board - We talked about making a few sandwich boards with some plywood - we inquired that maybe the school would be willing to make them if we asked.  Heather will contact Robin about this project as well.

Cell Phone Towers
- Fred Langford Property

Grant Writing
- Bridgette will get in touch with Heather once she is done with School.

Grants -
Heather brought to the groups attention that there is a couple grants that may be worth looking into - one being Northwest Farm Credit Services Rural Community Grant Program.  Heather has the paperwork if anyone is interested in writing it.

Festival of Trees - Decided to possibly make a stand-alone event with drinks/hoursdoeuvres.

- Colleen had brought a photograph of a large sugar beet that she had encountered in her travels and was wondering if something would be possible to add to our Visitors Center as a unique draw. We will be discussing later on when the building is complete and operational.

Notary Training
- Tabled at this time - do not know if we will have enough interest in it to justify bringing the trainer down.

Marquees - The PTO has decided to take some of the funds for the Marquees and use for another project. The Chamber decided to hold off on the marquees until we have a visitor’s center/rest area to place it at.

Lights on the Tower
Anita DePriest Magnuson sent Heather a cutout of a Newspaper Article from Junction City, Oregon where they have succeeded in lighting up their water towers with LED lights that can change and be programmed to move and rotate. It was agreed that it was a neat idea and would be tabled until we had available funding to do a project of that magnitude. Heather will contact Chuck and see if he is interested in spearheading the project. <http://junctioncity.kval.com/content/eugene-company-helps-light-junction-city-water-tower>.

Strategic Alliance of Montana Chambers - Heather contacted SAMC and notified them of our interest in the project. We will wait to hear from them on when we will be doing training in our area.

American Prairie Foundation
It was talked about at the meeting for our approach on this subject, and we decided to help encourage people to get educated on the subject and to express your opinion. The officers of the group decided to let the Stockgrowers and the CattleWomen do the public viewing of the movie with a speaker, etc. It was a unanimous opinion of the group that it will affect businesses and could directly affect each and every one of us. Heather will contact Lori Swanson.

Fran Hodgson sent Heather a link in July that showcased Cut Bank’s murals through town. She would like to suggest that Chinook look into it. The link is: <http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/92734869.html>. Tabled at this time.

Signs Outside of town
The signage has been tabled still since the input we received from Krystal Steinmetz regarding CTEP.  Heather will work directly with Krystal on this project

Comments are closed.