2012 May

Minutes, May 16th, 2012 – 7:00 p.m. Pastime Lounge


Current Agenda reads as follows:
Report on Signs Outside of Town - Committee - Chuck Hewitt/Kelcey Diemert/Max Hofeldt
Visitors Center - Heather DePriest/Larry Surber
CTEP – Keith Hanson/Heather DePriest

Chamber Office Sign – Heather DePriest
Fundraiser Raffle – Heather DePriest

Chamber T-Shirts – Heather DePriest

Table and Chair Racks – Larry Surber

Sugarbeet Festival Planning 2012 – Rita Surber

Montana Chamber Choices - Heather



Larry Surber

Jennifer Hellman

Heather DePriest

Frank Pehrson

Gary Anderson

Tara Overcast

TJ Overcast

Rita Surber





Minutes were read and approved.




Montana Chamber Choices – It was brought to our attention that a program called Montana Chamber Choices exists for Chamber’s of Commerce to help our members achieve affordable insurance for their businesses. We discussed to talk to the local insurance agents and see what they offer or if they know anything about the program. Tabled until next meeting.


Chamber T-Shirts – The new shirts should be done soon from Master Sports.


Annual Banquet – The banquet was a success. It was a good turnout and great food by Val’s Custom Catering. Larry Surber was presented a plaque this year and Heather did a power-point presentation regarding the Chamber and what they do for the community. Overall a success.


Brochure Distribution – Brochures have been distributed through Certified Folder.


Fundraiser Raffle – It was discussed that the Chamber would be raffling off a 0 turn radius lawnmower; or a trip valued at $5,000; or $4,000 Cash as the prize. Heather will handle the ticket printing and the bid receiving from Ace, Chinook Hardware and Rainbow Irrigation. It was discussed to sell 500 tickets for $25 each or 5 for $100 and to draw at the Parade of Lights and Christmas Stroll or whenever the tickets were sold. TJ moved to let the board decide on an exact item. It was 2nd by Frank and the motion carried.


Bear Paw Battlefield – Gary Anderson indicated that the Battlefield now has a nice website and that he would like to ask for solicitations towards helping to defray the cost of the site. He would also like the Chamber to write a letter of request for a presentation regarding the current EAS to the Park Service. Heather agreed to write the letter.


Memberships – The Chamber has had some inquiries about Home Based Business memberships. It was discussed to possibly do a $50 membership to the Chamber for Home-Based Businesses. The consensus was that it would be difficult to differentiate between a home-based business and one that has an actual location (whether it be at their home or anywhere else). It was discussed that this would not be an option this year, but possibly next. Tabled until next spring.


Tables and Chairs – The racks are built and hold 50 chairs each – 4 of them were purchased, and the project is finished. It was voted on unanimous to purchase the racks. It was also discussed to have a trailer fee of $350 for Members and $425 for non members. Rita moved and Jenn 2nd. $200 deposit when taking the trailer and non-profits will get the tables and chairs for $100. Heather will rewrite the contract and put in there that if anything happens to the trailer at the time of use, their $200 deposit will not be refunded. The Graphics for the Trailer bid came back at $600 to $650 for the vinyl which includes installation. TJ suggested a friend of his in Billings to get a bid from, and he said he would contact them for a bid.


Fairboard Fundrasier – Heather inquired about the Fairboards progress on the Commercial Building and the board indicated that the Roof and Insulation will cost them about $10,000 and will be done by the fair. It is not sheeted at this time, but that is next on the agenda.


Advertising in Canada – It was discussed that we need to send brochures to Frontier and Shonovan, Canada. – Brochures were mailed.




Sugarbeet Festival 2012 – September 21st and 22nd, 2012 – Blaine County’s 100th Anniversary is the theme of this years festival. Rita reported that they style show will be handled by Sue Reid and Paulette Cronk has agreed to help as will. We are hoping to bring in the old time photos and Chuck and Deb Davies will be helping with the Parade of Homes. The cost is $5 per person to ride the bus. There were suggestions of Mackenzie’s, Burkhartsmeyers, Rasmussens and also possibly some farmhouses. Scheduled so far is:

Fun Run

Kids Games

Dinner – Nancy will be handling.

Courthouse Tour

Car Show – Cruisers (Gary Anderson suggested a category of “Best Original”)

Story Time at the Library

Sugarbeet Growing Contest





Rita will report on the progress at the next meeting.


Visitors Center
Ron Dalton is working on the project at this time. We have scheduled a day of Sunday, June 3rd at the visitors center and the armory to clean and get ready for the summer.


Max presented Heather’s designs and it was discussed to bring a price at the next meeting. The design was voted on and the location was also added on the East side of town on the DePriest property.  At the time of the meeting, he did not have a bid.


Heather will finish the letter and mail to the businesses.  Heather contacted the local banks about any low-cost funding for the project and they all said they do not offer anything like that.


Treasurers Report:

Operating $2795.26

Tables and Chairs $592.35

Sugarbeet Festival $63.74

Christmas Lights Savings $20

Christmas Light $24.97
Meeting adjourned at 8:45 p.m.
Next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, June 6th at the Chinook Eagles – 7 p.m.


Grant Writing – Bridgette will get in touch with Heather once she is done with School.


Festival of Trees – Ambulance Crew was suggested for this years fundraiser group – it was agreed upon to table until the Festival gets closer.


LARGE SUGARBEET STATUE - Colleen had brought a photograph of a large sugarbeet that she had encountered in her travels and was wondering if something would be possible to add to our Visitors Center as a unique draw. We will be discussing later on when the building is complete and operational.

Notary Training
- Tabled at this time - do not know if we will have enough interest in it to justify bringing the trainer down.

Marquees - The PTO has decided to take some of the funds for the Marquees and use for another project. The Chamber decided to hold off on the marquees until we have a visitors center/rest area to place it at.

Lights on the Tower
Anita DePriest Magnuson sent Heather a cutout of a Newspaper Article from Junction City, Oregon where they have succeeded in lighting up their water towers with LED lights that can change and be programmed to move and rotate. It was agreed that it was a neat idea and would be tabled until we had available funding to do a project of that magnitude. Heather will contact Chuck and see if he is interested in spearheading the project. <http://junctioncity.kval.com/content/eugene-company-helps-light-junction-city-water-tower>.

Strategic Alliance of Montana Chambers - Heather contacted SAMC and notified them of our interest in the project. We will wait to hear from them on when we will be doing a training in our area.

American Prairie Foundation
It was talked about at the meeting for our approach on this subject, and we decided to help encourage people to get educated on the subject and to express your opinion. The officers of the group decided to let the Stockgrowers and the CattleWomen do the public viewing of the movie with a speaker, etc. It was a unanimous opinion of the group that it will affect businesses and could directly affect each and every one of us. Heather will contact Lori Swanson.
Fran Hodgson sent Heather a link in July that showcased CutBank’s murals through town. She would like to suggest that Chinook look into it. The link is: <http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/92734869.html>. Tabled at this time.

Comments are closed.