2012 March

Minutes, March 14th, 2012 - 7:00 p.m. Chamber Office

Current Agenda reads as follows:
Report on Signs Outside of Town - Committee - Chuck Hewitt/Kelcey Diemert/Max Hofeldt
Visitors Center - Heather DePriest/Larry Surber
CTEP - Keith Hanson/Heather DePriest
Chamber Office Sign - Heather DePriest
Annual Banquet Planning - Jay Eslick
Grant Writing - Bridgette Brennan - Heather
Fundraiser Raffle - Heather DePriest
Chamber T-Shirts - Heather DePriest
Table and Chair Racks - Larry Surber
Sugarbeet Festival Planning 2012 - Rita Surber
Lion’s Club Project Ideas - Heather

Larry Surber
Heather DePriest
Jennifer Hellman
Jay Eslick
Carol DePriest
Richard Cronk
Paulette Cronk
Max Hofeldt
Frank Pehrson
Gary Anderson
Rita Surber


Minutes were read and approved.


Chamber T-Shirts - It was discussed that the Event Staff need to have their own shirts for all of our events we have.  Heather agreed to put together a design and bring it to the next meeting.

Annual Banquet Planning - The 2012 Annual Banquet has been rescheduled to Saturday, April 21st.  Jay reported that it will be a roast beef dinner catered by Val’s Catering at the Old Eagles Club.  This year, since we are paying for dinner for our members, we will not be doing free drinks.  Jennifer and Heather will be putting together a postcard and mailing them to members for RSVP by Friday, April 13th.

Brochure Distribution - Heather received a bid from Certified Folder for distributing the brochure from May through August which came to $677.52 total.  Jay moved to approve the request and Frank 2nd.  Motion carried.  Heather will contact Certified and proceed.

Thank You’s - Heather suggested we send LuAnn Burkhartsmeyer a Thank You Card for all her years of service to the Chamber.  Jay moved and Frank 2nd.  We also sent one to Mark Burkhartsmeyer for his dedication to the Ambulance Crew.

Fundraiser Raffle - Heather suggested that we do a vehicle for this years Raffle.  She suggested a 2012 Dodge Ram ½ Ton Pickup from Jamiesons.   She has requested bids from insurance companies for “hole in one” insurance regarding a vehicle and the gap between what we sell and what is owed to pay for the vehicle.  Max moved to suggest the executive directors approve the raffle idea once the insurance quote has been received and Carol 2nd.  It was suggested a draw date of 2013 at the Bear Paw Roundup.  Heather will work on this with the executive committee.

Racks for Tables and Chairs - Larry Surber has been building racks and informed us of his progress on them.

Garden Club Planters - Carol DePriest reported that they are seeking to replace 9 planters at an average of $35 each.  We agreed to pay for the planters as long as we use a local vendor to purchase them.  Jay moved to use locally with an allowance of up to $500.  Rita 2nd and it was voted on unanimously.

Grant Writing - Heather emailed Bridgette and will await her reply.

St. Mary’s Report - Gary Anderson Reported on the St. Mary’s Rehabiliation Working Group progress and indicated that they are going on their 9th year with 16 members.  He reported on their progress and how they are doing as a group at working towards their goal of Rehabiliating St. Mary’s.

Painting from Chip Purchase - Heather was contacted by Chip Purchase of Houston Texas indicating that he has a painting that his mother Winn Purchase painted in 1955 of the Harlem Seed Company’s Grain Bins just East of Chinook.  He indicated he would be happy to mail the painting to us free of charge if we would like to display it somewhere in town.  Heather told him she would be happy to find a place for it in our Visitors Center and he sent a copy of her biography with it as well.  Heather will bring it to the next meeting to display the painting.  Heather will send a thank you card to Chip for sending it to us.


Sugarbeet Festival 2012 - September 21st and 22nd, 2012 - Blaine County’s 100th Anniversary is the theme of this years festival.  It was suggested to do a little business card with the events this year to hand out during the festival so everyone knew when things were happening.  Also, to only get one t-shirt for the festival instead of both the fun run and the event shirt.  Rita received permission from the Museum to use their old clothes for a fashion show and has reserved the senior center for the show in the afternoon.  The library has been reserved for the changing area for the show as well.  Rita also suggested that a storytelling be told at the cemetery after dark.  She had great ideas to go with and will continue to report on these at each meeting.  It was also brought to our attention that Lohman Motorsports Complex will be having a race on the Sunday following the Festival.

Visitors Center
Heather contacted Ron Dalton about building the cabinets, and issued him a check for $1925 for the supplies to begin the project.  Ron said he would let us know when he gets closer to completing it.  Heather indicated that we need to order a door-closer for the door so it will automatically close itself after each person leaves.  It was agreed to order the closer.   Heather will be ordering the Chamber Office sign from Floren’s soon.

Heather presented a couple of spec ideas for the Chamber Office sign and the group decided to continue on with some ideas to edit the version she proposed.  Heather will make some changes based upon feedback and bring to the next meeting.  Max and Kelcey will get together soon as well to discuss the project.

The group asked to have a letter drafted to the business district that will be affected.  Heather will comprise a letter and bring it to the next meeting.

Treasurers Report:
$8641.44 Operating
$149.85 Tables and Chairs
$44.97 Xmas
$63.74 Sugarbeet Festival

Meeting adjourned at 8:46 p.m.
Next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, April 11th at 7:00 p.m. at the Eagles Club


LARGE SUGARBEET STATUE - Colleen had brought a photograph of a large sugarbeet that she had encountered in her travels and was wondering if something would be possible to add to our Visitors Center as a unique draw. We will be discussing later on when the building is complete and operational.

Notary Training
- Tabled at this time - do not know if we will have enough interest in it to justify bringing the trainer down.

Marquees - The PTO has decided to take some of the funds for the Marquees and use for another project. The Chamber decided to hold off on the marquees until we have a visitors center/rest area to place it at.

Lights on the Tower
Anita DePriest Magnuson sent Heather a cutout of a Newspaper Article from Junction City, Oregon where they have succeeded in lighting up their water towers with LED lights that can change and be programmed to move and rotate. It was agreed that it was a neat idea and would be tabled until we had available funding to do a project of that magnitude. Heather will contact Chuck and see if he is interested in spearheading the project. <http://junctioncity.kval.com/content/eugene-company-helps-light-junction-city-water-tower>.

Strategic Alliance of Montana Chambers - Heather contacted SAMC and notified them of our interest in the project. We will wait to hear from them on when we will be doing a training in our area.

American Prairie Foundation
It was talked about at the meeting for our approach on this subject, and we decided to help encourage people to get educated on the subject and to express your opinion. The officers of the group decided to let the Stockgrowers and the CattleWomen do the public viewing of the movie with a speaker, etc. It was a unanimous opinion of the group that it will affect businesses and could directly affect each and every one of us. Heather will contact Lori Swanson.

Fran Hodgson sent Heather a link in July that showcased CutBank’s murals through town. She would like to suggest that Chinook look into it. The link is: <http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/92734869.html>. Tabled at this time.

Comments are closed.