2012 January

Minutes January 11th, 2012

Current Agenda reads as follows:
Parade of Lights Reports - Nancy/Heather
Festival of Trees Reports - Heather
Justin Simenson - Bear Paw Roundup
Gary Anderson - St. Mary's Report
Report on Signs Outside of Town - Committee - Chuck Hewitt/Kelcey Diemert/Max Hofeldt
Visitors Center - Heather DePriest/Larry Surber
CTEP - Heather DePriest
Chamber Office Sign - Heather
Chamber Brochure Reprinting - Heather
Budgeting - Purchasing for 2011 - Heather
Annual Banquet Planning
Grant Writing - Bridgette Brennan
Little Christmas Trees - Proposal to replace with Garland - Rita Langford
DOT - Legal Documents
Gayle Fisher - Recent Publicity for Chinook

Larry Surber
Heather DePriest
Nancy Diemert
Jennifer Hellman
Max Hofeldt
Frank Pehrson Jr.
Kelcey Diemert

Justin Simenson

Minutes were read and approved.


Annual Banquet Planning - The 2012 Annual Banquet is scheduled for Saturday, March 17th, 2012.  It was discussed on locations, and suggested that the Golf Course might be a great location for it again (if possible).  It was suggested that the Golf Course keep any proceeds from the Alcohol Sales if we utilize them.  Jay was unable to attend the  meeting but Heather agreed to talk with him about the proposed location and proposed date of Friday instead of Saturday.  To be discussed at the next meeting.

Chamber Bucks - The Chamber has sold nearly $7,000 in Chamber Bucks this year and it was discussed that the denominations should be smaller so they can be used more easily.  $25 increment denominations will be issued from now on.

Fundraiser Raffle - It was discussed on what we should do for our raffle this year and we decided to table it until the next meeting when people could bring their suggestions and ideas.

Trailer - Larry Surber offered his trailer to the Chamber (which we have been using to store the tables and chairs in) and we agreed to pay him $6,000 for the trailer in the following increments:  $3,000 in 2012 and $3,000 in 2013.   Larry will pay the insurance and registration in 2012 and the Chamber will pick that up in 2013.  Frank moved and Max 2nd.  It was approved and a check for $1,000 was issued to Larry Surber on the 14th.

Racks for Tables and Chairs
- Larry Surber has been building racks and informed us of his progress on them.


Bear Paw Roundup - Justin Simenson attended the meeting and reported that he appreciates our sponsorship and that the Roundup committee is very excited for the 2012 Roundup.  A Friday-night dance was discussed and the Roundup asked if the Chamber would be interested in putting one on.  It was agreed that we would help.  A photograph was taken presenting him with the $3,000 check and Heather submitted it to the Blaine County Journal.

Parade of Lights - The parade was discussed and next year we will be calling to pre-register people for the parade.  Talked about the Festival of Trees and whether or not it played a role in the low parade registrants but determined that the wind was a major factor.

Festival of Trees Report - It was reported that the Festival of Trees donations and trees enabled the Chamber to donate almost $11,000 towards the Festival of Trees.  A check was written to the Blaine County Fairboard for $10,170 and presented on Tuesday, January 10th, 2012 at American Garage with a photo shoot by the Blaine County Journal.   Next years Festival of Trees is open to suggestion for an organization that is in need of a fundraiser.

Sugarbeet Festival 2012 - September 21st and 22nd, 2012 - It was discussed to utilize the 100th Birthday of Blaine County for the Sugarbeet Festival Theme for 2012 and to accept Rita Surber as the Festival Director - Heather moved and Kelcey 2nd.  Heather will contact Blaine County.

Budget:  A budget meeting was held and the budget looks good for 2011.  Heather will send it to the Accountant and get the ball rolling with Kasie McIntosh.

The brochures are printed and done.  Deb Davies will pickup them this week.

Visitors Center
We are waiting for a proposal from Ron Dalton regarding the upgrades to the Chamber office.  Tabled at this time.  It was moved by Max and 2nd by Nancy to move forward with the Chamber Office sign - Heather will contact the printer.

Max and Kelcey discussed the project and suggested that we look online for some ideas for the project.  Heather will look and present some ideas at the next meeting.

Heather reported that she spoke with the City at their last meeting regarding the price of the project and proposed that they move forward with the Sidewalk project.  An article was released in the Journal that indicated plans for the project.  It was decided that anyone not willing to participate in the project would not get sidewalks in front of their establishment.

Treasurers Report:
$1104.17 Operating
$337.35 Tables and Chairs
$44.97 Xmas
$63.74 Sugarbeet Festival

Meeting adjourned at 8:34 p.m.


LARGE SUGARBEET STATUE - Colleen had brought a photograph of a large sugarbeet that she had encountered in her travels and was wondering if something would be possible to add to our Visitors Center as a unique draw. We will be discussing later on when the building is complete and operational.

Notary Training
- Tabled at this time - do not know if we will have enough interest in it to justify bringing the trainer down.

Marquees - The PTO has decided to take some of the funds for the Marquees and use for another project. The Chamber decided to hold off on the marquees until we have a visitors center/rest area to place it at.

Lights on the Tower
Anita DePriest Magnuson sent Heather a cutout of a Newspaper Article from Junction City, Oregon where they have succeeded in lighting up their water towers with LED lights that can change and be programmed to move and rotate. It was agreed that it was a neat idea and would be tabled until we had available funding to do a project of that magnitude. Heather will contact Chuck and see if he is interested in spearheading the project. <http://junctioncity.kval.com/content/eugene-company-helps-light-junction-city-water-tower>.

Strategic Alliance of Montana Chambers - Heather contacted SAMC and notified them of our interest in the project. We will wait to hear from them on when we will be doing a training in our area.

American Prairie Foundation
It was talked about at the meeting for our approach on this subject, and we decided to help encourage people to get educated on the subject and to express your opinion. The officers of the group decided to let the Stockgrowers and the CattleWomen do the public viewing of the movie with a speaker, etc. It was a unanimous opinion of the group that it will affect businesses and could directly affect each and every one of us. Heather will contact Lori Swanson.
Fran Hodgson sent Heather a link in July that showcased CutBank’s murals through town. She would like to suggest that Chinook look into it. The link is: <http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/92734869.html>. Tabled at this time.

Comments are closed.