2012 February

Minutes, February 8th - 7:00 p.m. Pastime Lounge

Current Agenda reads as follows:

Report on Signs Outside of Town - Committee - Chuck Hewitt/Kelcey Diemert/Max Hofeldt
Visitors Center - Heather DePriest/Larry Surber
CTEP - Keith Hanson/Heather DePriest
Gary Anderson - St. Mary's Report
Chamber Office Sign - Heather
Annual Banquet Planning
Grant Writing - Bridgette Brennan
Brochure Distribution - Certified Folder
Thank you card - LuAnn/Mark B.
Fundraiser Raffle - Heather

Larry Surber
Heather DePriest
Rita Surber
Keith Hanson
Kelcey Diemert
Nancy Diemert
Paulette Cronk
Richard Cronk
Jay Eslick
Carol DePriest


Minutes were read and approved.


Annual Banquet Planning - The 2012 Annual Banquet is scheduled for Saturday, March 24th - It will be invitation only this year and Jay will talk with Val to see if she can do a bid for $15 per plate.  It was discussed to do a 50/50 Raffle or a Contribution Bucket this year.  It will be held at the Eagles.

Fundraiser Raffle - It was discussed on what we should do for our raffle this year and we decided to table it until the next meeting when people could bring their suggestions and ideas.

Racks for Tables and Chairs - Larry Surber has been building racks and informed us of his progress on them.

Little Trees on Main Street - Rita Langford made a proposal to get rid of the little Christmas Trees on main street and purchase Garland instead for around the barrels.  Nancy moved and Richard 2nd buying the garland - it was discussed to wait until next Christmas to get a better price on the garland since it is no longer on the shelves.

Garden Club - Carol DePriest spoke at the meeting regarding the replacement of several planters on main street.  She inquired if the Chamber would be interested in helping to pay for the replacement barrels - Carol agreed to bring a list of how many they needed to replace and the cost of the replacement barrels to the next meeting.

Grant Writing - Bridgette Brennan indicated to Heather that she would be interested in working on some grant projects for the Chamber.  She is currently in college and has taken a course on grant-writing, and submitted a sample grant she wrote for a ficticious business she was starting.  It was agreed to see if she would be interested in writing a signage grant for new signs on the outside of town.  Heather will contact her.

Lions Club - Richard Cronk indicated that Lion’s Club has some money set aside for a project should we want to coordinate with them on something.  We indicated we would like to see the new signage go up outside of town, so Richard agreed to report on that at the next Lion’s Club meeting.  Another thought was a fence around the transfer station.


Sugarbeet Festival 2012 - September 21st and 22nd, 2012 - Blaine County’s 100th Anniversary is the theme of this years festival.  Rita brought several ideas to the table - including a Parade of Homes; Interviews of Community Members on Video; Fashion Show for each Decade and a Courthouse Tour.  Any other ideas on the festival can be routed to Rita Surber - Sugarbeet Festival Administrator.

Visitors Center
We received a bid from Ron Dalton to build the storage cabinet in the Chamber Office. The bid came in at $3,195 - Installed with Materials and Labor.  The benches for the North Wall and the Bench on each Side are $950.  The 2 Corner Tables will be $350.  Ron would like 60% down for the materials before he starts.  Jay moved to start on the storage cabinet, Kelcey 2nd.  Benches and corner tables will be done at a later time.   Voted on unanimous - motion carried.

Max and Kelcey discussed the project and suggested that we look online for some ideas for the project.  Heather will look and present some ideas at the next meeting.

Keith Hanson reported that 20% should be the businesses liability and he is proposing at the next meeting with the City Council to use the $65,000 towards the project and let the Chamber do the legwork on it.  We will report on this again at the next meeting.

Treasurers Report:
$4770.12 Operating
$149.85 Tables and Chairs
$44.97 Xmas
$63.74 Sugarbeet Festival

Meeting adjourned at 8:20 p.m.
Next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, March 14th at 7:00 p.m. at the Chamber Office


LARGE SUGARBEET STATUE - Colleen had brought a photograph of a large sugarbeet that she had encountered in her travels and was wondering if something would be possible to add to our Visitors Center as a unique draw. We will be discussing later on when the building is complete and operational.

Notary Training
- Tabled at this time - do not know if we will have enough interest in it to justify bringing the trainer down.

Marquees - The PTO has decided to take some of the funds for the Marquees and use for another project. The Chamber decided to hold off on the marquees until we have a visitors center/rest area to place it at.

Lights on the Tower
Anita DePriest Magnuson sent Heather a cutout of a Newspaper Article from Junction City, Oregon where they have succeeded in lighting up their water towers with LED lights that can change and be programmed to move and rotate. It was agreed that it was a neat idea and would be tabled until we had available funding to do a project of that magnitude. Heather will contact Chuck and see if he is interested in spearheading the project. <http://junctioncity.kval.com/content/eugene-company-helps-light-junction-city-water-tower>.

Strategic Alliance of Montana Chambers - Heather contacted SAMC and notified them of our interest in the project. We will wait to hear from them on when we will be doing a training in our area.

American Prairie Foundation
It was talked about at the meeting for our approach on this subject, and we decided to help encourage people to get educated on the subject and to express your opinion. The officers of the group decided to let the Stockgrowers and the CattleWomen do the public viewing of the movie with a speaker, etc. It was a unanimous opinion of the group that it will affect businesses and could directly affect each and every one of us. Heather will contact Lori Swanson.

Fran Hodgson sent Heather a link in July that showcased CutBank’s murals through town. She would like to suggest that Chinook look into it. The link is: <http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/92734869.html>. Tabled at this time.

Comments are closed.