2011 September

Minutes September7th, 2011 at the Pastime Lounge in Chinook - 7 p.m.

Current Agenda reads as follows:
Report on Signs Outside of Town - Committee - Chuck Hewitt/Kelcey Diemert/Max Hofeldt
Visitors Center - Heather DePriest/Larry Surber
CTEP - Heather DePriest
SBA Nomination Letter to Crystal Baker - Heather DePriest
Chamber Office Sign - Heather
Sugarbeet Festival Reports - Rita Surber/Heather DePriest
Treasurers Report - Heather DePriest
Calendar of Events Emails
4-Wheeler Raffle Report
Fairboard Meeting Report on Tables and Chairs Storage/Use
Chamber Brochure Reprinting

Members Attending:
Heather DePriest
Larry Surber
Nancy Diemert
LuAnn Burkhartsmeyer
Rita Surber
Jennifer Hellman
Lynn Mahan
Lori Swanson
Thom MacLean
John Skoyen
Bonnie Gallus
Dan Moxley

Cheryl Schuldt
Elaine Popler
Jeremy Styren
Chris Skoyen
Donna Dobson

Minutes were read and approved as stood with one correction:  The Hall of Famer at the Sugarbeet Festival gets to be first in line at the Barbeque and the Banquet as well.


Painting of the Chamber Office
Barry Murnion inquired about the painting of the Chamber office.  Last year we discussed purchasing the paint if he would paint it - it was voted on and approved.  Heather will contact Barry.

Sugarbeet Festival
Rita has been doing a great job organizing the Festival and has sent out posters to 20 chambers of commerce’s in Montana.  Rita is working on the decorating of the planters with a oil derrick; the Roughneck Relay race was discussed and details regarding that; the Gusher Game was discussed and Nancy moved to charge $85 for 5 or more booths and Jenn 2nd.  Motion carried.  It was also discussed that we need to make sure the parade administrator notifies everyone in the parade to throw the candy far away from the vehicles for fear of danger with children.  Lynn Mahan will be giving out forms during her class reunion registration to help draw membership to the Chamber.  Lynn also asked to use 25 chairs during the parade.  It was agreed upon to allow Lynn to use them.
Rita proposed an idea to pain the fence on the vacant lot of Dixon’s, it was moved by Heather and 2nd by Nancy.  Stain will cost $10/gallon.

Calendar of Events Emails
Is anyone interested in implementing this?

Clean-Up Day
Heather scheduled it for October 22nd and has contacted the Highway Department.

Deb Davies and Heather have been working on the Brochure and are in the process of contacting the organizations that benefit from it.  The Russell Country meeting will be held one day after this meeting and we will know whether it has been approved then.

Tables and Chairs for the Angus Tour
Larry reported that we are in need of help relocating the Tables and Chairs from the Angus Tour back to Chinook for the festival.  Any volunteers would be welcomed.


Visitors Center
We need to work on finishing the visitors center.  Schedule a time at the next meeting.

No report on the progress at this time.  We are waiting until our 4-wheeler raffle is over and the Sugarbeet Festival money is in.

The prioritized list of sidewalks have been done and sent to Krystal and Lorraine.

ATV Raffle - Tickets are being sold but we need to sell more!  Nancy agreed to sell them at the Football Game on Friday and Lori Swanson agreed to sell them at the High School Rodeo on Saturday.  Rita Surber agreed to sell them at the Volleyball Game on the 9th and 10th of September.  Heather will sell them all day Saturday at the Festival and we will draw at the Concert on Saturday.

Treasurers Report
Operating - $5496.05
Tables & Chairs - $298.35
Xmas - $24.97
Beet Fest - $63.74
Blaine County Cruise - $2697.24

Meeting adjourned at 8:07 p.m.


LARGE SUGARBEET STATUE - Colleen had brought a photograph of a large sugarbeet that she had encountered in her travels and was wondering if something would be possible to add to our Visitors Center as a unique draw. We will be discussing later on when the building is complete and operational.

Notary Training
- Tabled at this time - do not know if we will have enough interest in it to justify bringing the trainer down.

Marquees - The PTO has decided to take some of the funds for the Marquees and use for another project. The Chamber decided to hold off on the marquees until we have a visitors center/rest area to place it at.

Festival of Trees
Heather spoke about the possibility of adding a Festival of Trees fundraiser for the Chamber in December and thought it would be a nice addition to the holidays. She would like to see businesses donate a tree and put gifts underneath of it and auction them at a dinner type setting. Tabled until next year.

Lights on the Tower
Anita DePriest Magnuson sent Heather a cutout of a Newspaper Article from Junction City, Oregon where they have succeeded in lighting up their water towers with LED lights that can change and be programmed to move and rotate. It was agreed that it was a neat idea and would be tabled until we had available funding to do a project of that magnitude. Heather will contact Chuck and see if he is interested in spearheading the project. <http://junctioncity.kval.com/content/eugene-company-helps-light-junction-city-water-tower>.

Strategic Alliance of Montana Chambers - Heather contacted SAMC and notified them of our interest in the project. We will wait to hear from them on when we will be doing a training in our area.

American Prairie Foundation
It was talked about at the meeting for our approach on this subject, and we decided to help encourage people to get educated on the subject and to express your opinion. The officers of the group decided to let the Stockgrowers and the CattleWomen do the public viewing of the movie with a speaker, etc. It was a unanimous opinion of the group that it will affect businesses and could directly affect each and every one of us. Heather will contact Lori Swanson.
Fran Hodgson sent Heather a link in July that showcased CutBank’s murals through town.  She would like to suggest that Chinook look into it.  The link is:  <http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/92734869.html>.  Tabled at this time.

Comments are closed.