2011 November

Minutes November 9th, 2011
Larry Surber
Nancy Diemert
Heather DePriest
Jennifer Hellman
Jay Eslick
Frank Pehrson
Max Hofedlt
Keith Hanson

Justin Simenson
Cody Powell

Minutes were read and approved.


Bear Paw Roundup - Justin Simenson and Cody Powell attended the meeting to ask for input on how to improve the Roundup’s attendance. Several suggestions were offered including the suggestion of adding a dance to it whether it be at the Commercial Building or a street-dance uptown; we also suggested to them that they need to have a delegation process and give individuals more responsibility; plus adding in a main coordinator. Jay moved to become a corporate sponsor of the Roundup for $3,000. Nancy 2nd and it was then amended to add that as long as we get corporate sponsorship advertising and heavy promotion. Keith 2nd the amendment and motion was amended.

Parade of Lights - It was discussed to add the form to the newspaper and put the parade in the Journal Jots as well as our regular advertising. The chamber bucks were approved to use for prizes for the parade and the Festival of Trees is set in place. Heather contacted Ada Brekke at Wells Fargo to make sure Santa was making his appearance.

Sugarbeet Festival Dates 2012 - Heather was asked to provide the dates for the 2012 Festival and she suggested September 21st and 22nd. Max Moved to accept the date and Jay 2nd. It has now been published in publications nationwide with the date.

Budget: Need to schedule a budget meeting for January. Jennifer will be taking over as Treasurer in January and we will be having a meeting before then.


The brochures were approved at this meeting and will be sent to the awarded printer.

Visitors Center
The meeting was held at the Chamber Office and plans were discussed to use some of our funds to finish the cabinets in the building and benches, etc.
Signage on the outside of town - Heather moved to use $6000 towards the project and Jay 2nd. It was voted on and approved. Jay was nominated as committee chair. Heather will work on a design.

Keith brought up the CTEP project and had attended the previous City of Chinook meeting. He suggested we collect money from the businesses to pay for it and not use CTEP as it has so many loopholes. Heather will get a report from Krystal and propose it at the next meeting.

Treasurers Report:
$13,191.03 Operating
$337.35 Tables and Chairs
$24.97 Xmas
$63.74 Sugarbeet Festival
$2697.24 Blaine County Cruise

Meeting adjourned at 9:08 p.m.
Next meeting is scheduled for December 12th at the Pastime Lounge in Chinook.


LARGE SUGARBEET STATUE - Colleen had brought a photograph of a large sugarbeet that she had encountered in her travels and was wondering if something would be possible to add to our Visitors Center as a unique draw. We will be discussing later on when the building is complete and operational.

Notary Training
- Tabled at this time - do not know if we will have enough interest in it to justify bringing the trainer down.

Marquees - The PTO has decided to take some of the funds for the Marquees and use for another project. The Chamber decided to hold off on the marquees until we have a visitors center/rest area to place it at.

Lights on the Tower
Anita DePriest Magnuson sent Heather a cutout of a Newspaper Article from Junction City, Oregon where they have succeeded in lighting up their water towers with LED lights that can change and be programmed to move and rotate. It was agreed that it was a neat idea and would be tabled until we had available funding to do a project of that magnitude. Heather will contact Chuck and see if he is interested in spearheading the project. <http://junctioncity.kval.com/content/eugene-company-helps-light-junction-city-water-tower>.

Strategic Alliance of Montana Chambers - Heather contacted SAMC and notified them of our interest in the project. We will wait to hear from them on when we will be doing a training in our area.

American Prairie Foundation
It was talked about at the meeting for our approach on this subject, and we decided to help encourage people to get educated on the subject and to express your opinion. The officers of the group decided to let the Stockgrowers and the CattleWomen do the public viewing of the movie with a speaker, etc. It was a unanimous opinion of the group that it will affect businesses and could directly affect each and every one of us. Heather will contact Lori Swanson.
Fran Hodgson sent Heather a link in July that showcased CutBank’s murals through town. She would like to suggest that Chinook look into it. The link is: <http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/92734869.html>. Tabled at this time.

Comments are closed.