Home of the Sugarbeeters

Small Town Charm, Big City Ambience

Chinook, Montana
Chinook Sugarbeeters
June 10th • Chinook Golf Course Fundraiser Dinner – Eagles Bar – 6 pm.
Business After Hours Will be Loaves and Fishes the First Thursday of August 2017.
Our Business After Hours Event is looking for Hosts for 2017, please contact Jennifer at (406) 945-7978 for more information.
June 13th • Summer Story time – Blaine County Library 10:30-11 am (Every Tuesday)
June 15th • Blaine County Fair Board Meeting – 7 P.M. at the fairgrounds
June 17th & 18th • Chinook Swim Meet
June 23rd & 24th • Blaine County Cruise
Heather DePriest with Montana Grafix will be teaching a Social Media Workshop, August 15th at 6pm at the Chamber office on Main Street.

2014 March

Minutes March 12th, 6:00 PM Pastime

Current Agenda reads as follows:

Treasurers Report-Jennifer Hellman
Bear Paw Battlefield-Heather DePriest
Fairground Improvements-Heather DePriest
CTEP-Heather DePriest
Business after hours-Jennifer Hellman/Nancy Diemert
Sugarbeet Festival Vendors-Jennifer Hellman
Boots and Pearls-Heather DePriest
Tables and Chairs-Tomi Simenson
Alliance Church-Dennis Findorff

Attending:
Tomi Simenson
Jennifer Hellman
Heather Depriest
Keri Hanson
Bonnie Weber
Nancy Diemert
Max Hofeldt
Larry Surber
Keith Hanson

Guests:
Brandon Nissen
Susie Berger
Craig Lowham
Michelle Turville
Pam Lemer

Minutes were read and approved

OLD BUSINESS:

Bear Paw Battlefield - No new information at this time.

Fairgrounds - No new information at this time.

Garbage Cans
-They are finished, but the sides still need to be put on them. Ben decided to donate his time putting these together. Tomi will be getting a thank you for him.

NEW BUSINESS

CTEP- Keith passed around a project breakdown for the group to look over. The City agreed to commit $65,000 to this project, and the city employees will be doing the removal of the sidewalks. In the end we are still short $8,440.56 to start this project. Discussion was held about the Chamber donating some money to help out and the businesses involved would have to provide the rest. Larry made the motion to pay $2,440.56 and Nancy 2nd it. More discussion was held about possibly having a proposal ready for some business’s that could be put in the project if others stepped out. Motion passed.

Chamber Memberships- Jennifer reported that we have 71 memberships in so far and we have three new businesses registered as members at this current time.

Business After Hours- Jennifer passed around some information that pertains to the “After Hours” event. Tomi reported that she sent a Chamber email out to the members, and the community letting them know about this as well. Craig said 1st Bank would host the first event and it will be April 10th from 5-7 pm and will be open to the public.

Chamber Banquet- Tomi reported that the menu is set and the Eagles will be doing the catering. Keri suggested having Bob Quinn as our guest speaker. Bob owns his own farm that is completely self- sufficient. Tomi will be sending out emails to promote the event. Discussion was also held about honoring our Community member, we will be giving her a plaque and flower arrangement from Shores Floral. Larry made the motion to give the awards to these members and Nancy 2nd it. Discussion was also held about giving out Chamber bucks as door prizes.

Weed Spraying- Max reported that we should be able to get the weeds sprayed for the business’s for $500.00 and that the Chamber would be responsible for passing out the papers that needed to be signed and collecting money from business’s. Discussion was held about just having the Chamber pay for the full $500.00 and having every business weeds sprayed. Keri made the motion for the Chamber to pay the full amount and Larry 2nd it. Motion passed.

Sugarbeet Festival Theme- Tomi read a letter that Rita wrote stating that she no longer would be in charge of the Sugarbeet festival.  Larry mentioned that Mitzi Cecrle volunteered to take charge on this and discussion was held. Rita was paid $1,000 every year to be in charge of this event and we talked about possibly upping that wage. It was decided we would stay at $1,000 for now. Discussion was held about theme ideas such as 10th anniversary, honeybee’s, and Railroad. We will vote at the next Chamber meeting after looking into the Railroad theme more. Larry made the motion to have Mitzi in charge and pay her $1,000 and Max 2nd it. Motion passed.

Treasurers Report:
BPCU CTEP checking $14,669.05
BPCU Savings $25.05
WF Operating $8,886.05
Chamber Bucks -$2,990.00 (these are still out, have not been redeemed)
WF Christmas Lights $457.00
WF Tables and Chairs $923.60
WF Water Tower Project $6.87

Bills were read and approved.

Meeting adjourned at 7:40 pm
Next meeting scheduled for April 9th at 6:00 PM at the Eagles.

TABLED ITEMS

Sandwich Board - We talked about making a few sandwich boards with some plywood - we inquired that maybe the school would be willing to make them if we asked.  Heather will contact Robin about this project as well.

Cell Phone Towers
- Fred Langford Property

Grant Writing
- Bridgette will get in touch with Heather once she is done with School.

Grants -
Heather brought to the groups attention that there is a couple grants that may be worth looking into - one being Northwest Farm Credit Services Rural Community Grant Program.  Heather has the paperwork if anyone is interested in writing it.

Festival of Trees - Decided to possibly make a stand-alone event with drinks/hoursdoeuvres.

LARGE SUGARBEET STATUE
- Colleen had brought a photograph of a large sugar beet that she had encountered in her travels and was wondering if something would be possible to add to our Visitors Center as a unique draw. We will be discussing later on when the building is complete and operational.

Notary Training
- Tabled at this time - do not know if we will have enough interest in it to justify bringing the trainer down.

Marquees - The PTO has decided to take some of the funds for the Marquees and use for another project. The Chamber decided to hold off on the marquees until we have a visitor’s center/rest area to place it at.

Lights on the Tower
Anita DePriest Magnuson sent Heather a cutout of a Newspaper Article from Junction City, Oregon where they have succeeded in lighting up their water towers with LED lights that can change and be programmed to move and rotate. It was agreed that it was a neat idea and would be tabled until we had available funding to do a project of that magnitude. Heather will contact Chuck and see if he is interested in spearheading the project. <http://junctioncity.kval.com/content/eugene-company-helps-light-junction-city-water-tower>.

Strategic Alliance of Montana Chambers - Heather contacted SAMC and notified them of our interest in the project. We will wait to hear from them on when we will be doing training in our area.

American Prairie Foundation
It was talked about at the meeting for our approach on this subject, and we decided to help encourage people to get educated on the subject and to express your opinion. The officers of the group decided to let the Stockgrowers and the CattleWomen do the public viewing of the movie with a speaker, etc. It was a unanimous opinion of the group that it will affect businesses and could directly affect each and every one of us. Heather will contact Lori Swanson.

Mural
Fran Hodgson sent Heather a link in July that showcased Cut Bank’s murals through town. She would like to suggest that Chinook look into it. The link is: <http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/92734869.html>. Tabled at this time.

Signs Outside of town
The signage has been tabled still since the input we received from Krystal Steinmetz regarding CTEP.  Heather will work directly with Krystal on this project

Comments are closed.