2014 June

Minutes June 11th, 6:00 PM Chamber Building

Current Agenda reads as follows:

Treasurers Report-Jennifer Hellman
Bear Paw Battlefield-Heather DePriest
Fairground Improvements-Heather DePriest
CTEP-Heather DePriest
Chamber office door-Casey/Larry Surber
Shirts for Business After Hours-Heather DePriest
Sugarbeet Festival-Mitzi Cecrle
Chamber Building-Larry Surber/Craig Lowham

Attending:
Larry Surber
Jennifer Hellman
Frank Pherson
Keri Hanson
Bonnie Weber
Craig Lowham
Mitzi Cecrle

Guests:
Steve Edwards

Minutes were read and approved

Treasurers Report:
BPCU CTEP checking $14,669.05
BPCU Savings $25.05
FB Sugarbeet Festival $2,966.76
WF Operating $9,144.20
Chamber Bucks -$3,190.00 (these are still out, have not been redeemed)
WF Christmas Lights $537.00
WF Tables and Chairs $1,223.60
WF Water Tower Project $6.87

Jennifer presented bills. Larry made the motion to accept the bills and Craig 2nd it. Motion passed.

OLD BUSINESS:

Bear Paw Battlefield - No new information at this time.

Fairgrounds - No new information at this time.

NEW BUSINESS

CTEP- No new information at this time.

Chamber Office Door- The door to the Chamber office has been seen swinging open during the day so it was mentioned that we need to look into getting it fixed. Barry said he didn’t have any time to look at it or fix it. The door seems to be doing fine as of now as long as it is shut well. Jennifer will be talking to Casey about checking the lock and making sure it is open from 9-5.

Shirts for Business After Hours-
Heather was not at the meeting to present her idea about getting shirts for Chamber members for the Business After Hours. Jennifer showed pictures of the shirts that we can order and have the Board of Directors wear them to the events. Jennifer made the motion to get the shirts and Frank 2nd it. Discussion was held and it was decided we would table it until the next meeting.

Spring Cleanup- Tomi reported that  Rita did not want to take this project on again. Discussion was held about finding anyone else to take it over and some new ideas were mentioned to get more people involved with it. Craig moved to put a thank you in the paper to the business’s and ask that they keep the front of their business’s picked up and clean, Larry 2nd it.  The Journal will be doing the Ad.

Sugarbeet Festival Vendors- We are still in need of someone to take care of vendors during the Sugarbeet Festival. Jennifer reported that she talked to the Munson’s and they were still unsure.

Sugarbeet Festival- The theme for this year’s festival will involve the Honey Bee Industry. Sugarbeet seeds are out at Business’s. Idea’s were discussed for the festival such as Bee’s for the flower pots on Main Street, decorating hay bales, bringing in and old truck and auger, and best dressed bumblebee. Discussion was held about the BBQ and if someone new was going to be in charge of it this year. Mitzi will be talking to Heather about getting the poster ready and also talking to Carla Anderson about getting some of the details lined out.

Tables and Chairs- Larry reported that Perry Miller had told him a leg was bent the wrong way on one of the tables. Larry said that it was fine and that it was now fixed. People have been complaining about them being dirty when they unload them out of the trailer. Discussion was held about the fact that they are in a trailer that is transported up and down dirt roads and that there is no way to keep those tables perfectly clean while being transported. This will have to be mentioned to the people that rent them out from now on.

Chamber Building- The group discussed locations for the future building and it was mentioned that there is space open down by Bikini Coffee. Craig and Larry also reported that it may be a good idea to just start with something small and save up for a bigger and more permanent establishment. They looked at storage sheds and reported that it would cost anywhere from $4,000-$6,000 for an uninsulated shed. Discussion was held about insulating it which would cost an additional $1,500. Larry will be looking to see if the Ag Class could possibly build one for us.

Customer Service Dates- Craig presented some dates that would work for Joe LaPlante to come down to do the Customer service training. The dates presented were June23-30th and July 7-11th. The training will be apporoxiamately 1 ½ hours long. It was decided to do June 30th.

Meeting adjourned at 7:20 pm
Next meeting scheduled for July 1st at 6:00 PM at the Eagles.

TABLED ITEMS

Sandwich Board - We talked about making a few sandwich boards with some plywood - we inquired that maybe the school would be willing to make them if we asked.  Heather will contact Robin about this project as well.

Cell Phone Towers
- Fred Langford Property

Grant Writing
- Bridgette will get in touch with Heather once she is done with School.

Grants -
Heather brought to the groups attention that there is a couple grants that may be worth looking into - one being Northwest Farm Credit Services Rural Community Grant Program.  Heather has the paperwork if anyone is interested in writing it.

Festival of Trees - Decided to possibly make a stand-alone event with drinks/hoursdoeuvres.

LARGE SUGARBEET STATUE
- Colleen had brought a photograph of a large sugar beet that she had encountered in her travels and was wondering if something would be possible to add to our Visitors Center as a unique draw. We will be discussing later on when the building is complete and operational.

Notary Training
- Tabled at this time - do not know if we will have enough interest in it to justify bringing the trainer down.

Marquees - The PTO has decided to take some of the funds for the Marquees and use for another project. The Chamber decided to hold off on the marquees until we have a visitor’s center/rest area to place it at.

Lights on the Tower
Anita DePriest Magnuson sent Heather a cutout of a Newspaper Article from Junction City, Oregon where they have succeeded in lighting up their water towers with LED lights that can change and be programmed to move and rotate. It was agreed that it was a neat idea and would be tabled until we had available funding to do a project of that magnitude. Heather will contact Chuck and see if he is interested in spearheading the project. <http://junctioncity.kval.com/content/eugene-company-helps-light-junction-city-water-tower>.

Strategic Alliance of Montana Chambers - Heather contacted SAMC and notified them of our interest in the project. We will wait to hear from them on when we will be doing training in our area.

American Prairie Foundation
It was talked about at the meeting for our approach on this subject, and we decided to help encourage people to get educated on the subject and to express your opinion. The officers of the group decided to let the Stockgrowers and the CattleWomen do the public viewing of the movie with a speaker, etc. It was a unanimous opinion of the group that it will affect businesses and could directly affect each and every one of us. Heather will contact Lori Swanson.

Mural
Fran Hodgson sent Heather a link in July that showcased Cut Bank’s murals through town. She would like to suggest that Chinook look into it. The link is: <http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/92734869.html>. Tabled at this time.

Signs Outside of town
The signage has been tabled still since the input we received from Krystal Steinmetz regarding CTEP.  Heather will work directly with Krystal on this project

Comments are closed.