2014 December

December 8th, 2014 - Chinook Eagles Club - 6:00 p.m.

Current Agenda:

Minutes Reading/Approval – Tomi Simenson
Treasurers Report – Jennifer Hellman
Bear Paw Battlefield – Heather DePriest
Fairgrounds Improvements – Heather DePriest
CTEP – Heather DePriest/Keith Hanson
Vendor issues refund to a vendor (overpayment)-Jennifer
PA System for festivals-Jennifer Hellman
Christmas Tree-Jennifer Hellman
Business Welcome Committee-Jennifer Hellman
Chamber Banquet-Heather DePriest
Officer Nominations-Heather DePriest
Chamber Banquet-Bob Quinn
Membership System-Heather DePriest
Membership Letter-Heather DePriest/Tomi Simenson
By-Laws-Heather DePriest

Monday, December 8th 2014-Chinook Eagles, 6:00 PM   

Members Present:

Heather DePriest
Jennifer Hellman
Keri Hanson
Keith Hanson
Tomi Simenson
Larry Surber
Craig Lowham

Guests Present:

Rhea Miller

Minutes were read and a correction was made to how many judges were needed for the Parade of Lights, Larry moved to accept, Jennifer 2nd it, motion passed.

Treasurers Report

BPCU Savings $25.05
FB SBF $7779.81
FB Operating $1100.00
WF Operating $3645.76
Chamber Bucks –6281.00
WF Christmas Lights $670.36
WF Tables and Chairs $3688.60

Bills were presented and Craig moved to accept bills, Larry 2nd it, motion passed.

OLD BUSINESS:

Bear Paw Battlefield – Nothing new at this time.

Fairgrounds – Nothing new at this time.

CTEP – There is no information new at this time, the project is on hold now until spring.

Chamber Building – Ron Dalton was able to get down to the Chamber building and uninstall the cabinets. Larry, Jenn, Scott, and Justin were able to be down there and moved them up to the armory for storage. Tomi talked to Dennis about the programmable locks and he said we would need to check with Brian Kellam to see what he did with them. Tomi will be in contact with him. The visitors sign still needs to be taken down so we will be talking to Brian about that as well. Discussion was held about some ideas for a new building. Keith proposed that when the new highway starts getting underway in 2017 that we could possibly set up a building where the new entrance to the Sweet Nursing Home will be. We will need to talk to the Fairboard and the County Commissioners to see if that will be an option. It was decided that the board will go to Fairboard meeting when they will be discussing this.

Storage Units- Heather brought a sheet from Ham’s Storage with prices for indoor storage where we could keep some items from the Chamber Building along with the cabinets. After looking at the prices and some discussion it was decided that it was too expensive. Keith will talk to the council and make sure they have enough room for us to continue to keep our items at the armory until we find a better solution. It was tabled for the time being.

Missoula Children's Theatre- Rhea Miller asked the Board if we could “house” the money for the Missoula Children's Theatre which is a non-profit group. Discussion was held about what other options there might be for them. Rhea mentioned that they could advertise that the Chamber is sponsoring the Missoula Children's Theatre, but it was tabled for now and we will discuss that further at a later time. After much discussion Jennifer moved to house the money for the Missoula Children’s Theatre, and Larry 2nd it. Motion passed. Jennifer will be handling the account and we will have 2 signers on the account, which will be Jennifer and Bonnie, and the money will be placed in a separate savings account at First Bank.

Chamber Website- Heather redid the Chamber website and gave it a new fresh look, at no cost. She mentioned that there is a system called “Member find me” that is automatically generated, and wanted to know if the Chamber would be interested in do this. Members can log in and handle their own member listings, and will have their own page on the website, and the cost is $19 per month. Discussion was held and it was mentioned about how much time and postage is spent on memberships throughout the year and Tomi and Jennifer thought it would be very beneficial. Tomi moved to give it a 6 month trial and we can visit at the end of the 6 months and see if it was worth the $19 a month. Keri 2nd it, motion passed.

Parade of Lights Festival of Trees- The group thought the overall event went very well, even with the weather being very cold. The Festival of Tree’s numbers were down this year, so discussion was held about some other ideas to increase the sales on the trees. Ideas included having it after the parade at the Eagles. It was decided that we would table it for now and keep discussing some ideas as the year goes on and make a decision at a later date. Heather also reported that we will need to find a new coordinator for next year.

Meeting adjourned at 7:27 PM

Next meeting is scheduled for January 7th at 6:00 PM at the Mint Bar in Chinook.

TABLED ITEMS

 

Storage Units- We need to find a storage area for the Chamber’s items. Keith will be talking to the City to see how long we can keep them at the Armory.

Sandwich Board – We talked about making a few sandwich boards with some plywood – we inquired that maybe the school would be willing to make them if we asked. Heather will contact Robin about this project as well.

Grant Writing – Bridgette will get in touch with Heather once she is done with School.

Grants – Heather brought to the groups attention that there is a couple grants that may be worth looking into – one being Northwest Farm Credit Services Rural Community Grant Program. Heather has the paperwork if anyone is interested in writing it.

LARGE SUGARBEET STATUE - Colleen had brought a photograph of a large sugar beet that she had encountered in her travels and was wondering if something would be possible to add to our Visitors Center as a unique draw. We will be discussing later on when the building is complete and operational.

Notary Training
- Tabled at this time - do not know if we will have enough interest in it to justify bringing the trainer down.

Marquees - The PTO has decided to take some of the funds for the Marquees and use for another project. The Chamber decided to hold off on the marquees until we have a visitor’s center/rest area to place it at.

Lights on the Tower
Anita DePriest Magnuson sent Heather a cutout of a Newspaper Article from Junction City, Oregon where they have succeeded in lighting up their water towers with LED lights that can change and be programmed to move and rotate. It was agreed that it was a neat idea and would be tabled until we had available funding to do a project of that magnitude. Heather will contact Chuck and see if he is interested in spearheading the project. <http://junctioncity.kval.com/content/eugene-company-helps-light-junction-city-water-tower>.

Strategic Alliance of Montana Chambers - Heather contacted SAMC and notified them of our interest in the project. We will wait to hear from them on when we will be doing training in our area.

American Prairie Foundation
It was talked about at the meeting for our approach on this subject, and we decided to help encourage people to get educated on the subject and to express your opinion. The officers of the group decided to let the Stockgrowers and the CattleWomen do the public viewing of the movie with a speaker, etc. It was a unanimous opinion of the group that it will affect businesses and could directly affect each and every one of us. Heather will contact Lori Swanson.

Mural
Fran Hodgson sent Heather a link in July that showcased Cut Bank’s murals through town. She would like to suggest that Chinook look into it. The link is: <http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/92734869.html>. Tabled at this time.

Signs Outside of town

The signage has been tabled still since the input we received from Krystal Steinmetz regarding CTEP. Heather will work directly with Krystal on this project

Comments are closed.