2014 April

Minutes April 9th, 2014 - 6:00 PM Eagles

Current Agenda reads as follows:

Treasurers Report-Jennifer Hellman
Bear Paw Battlefield-Heather DePriest
Fairground Improvements-Heather DePriest
CTEP-Heather DePriest
Chamber office door-Casey/Larry Surber
Sugarbeet Festival Vendors-Jennifer Hellman
Boots and Pearls-Heather DePriest

Attending:
Tomi Simenson
Jennifer Hellman
Heather Depriest
Keri Hanson
Larry Surber
Craig Lowham
Frank Pehrson

Guests:
Carol DePriest
Dennis Findorff
Mark Billmeyer
Lori Swanson
Corey Couturier
Chad Jones

Minutes were read and approved

OLD BUSINESS:

Bear Paw Battlefield - No new information at this time.

Fairgrounds - No new information at this time.

NEW BUSINESS

CTEP- Heather reported that there may some additional costs but the project is expected to move forward.

Chamber Memberships- Jennifer reported that we have 103 memberships in so far and we have nine new full memberships and three new associate memberships.

Business After Hours- First event is scheduled at First Bank April 10th from 5-7, Craig reported they are ready and excited for the event. Jennifer did an interview with Brandon Baney about the After Hours event and it will be on the radio. We are still in need of one for May, and it was mentioned that skipping November may be a good idea because of the Sugarbeet Festival and the Parade of Lights. Discussion was also held about changing the name of the event. Larry made the motion to keep it “Business After Hours” and Keri 2nd it. We will be working on making posters for future events and creating a template that we can just change each month to help with advertising.

Sugarbeet Festival Vendors- We are still in need of someone who may be interested in taking over the vendors for the Sugarbeet Festival. Jennifer is willing to help with the first year. If anyone knows of someone that may be interested please contact one of the directors.

Boots and Pearls- The Boot’s & Pearls approached Heather about needing insurance for this year’s event, and would like to borrow the Chambers. Heather talked to HUB and they said it will not cost the Chamber any additional money. Frank moved to sponsor the event with the insurance and Larry 2nd it. The Boots and Pearls fundraiser is to go towards restocking the kitchen in the commercial building out at the fairgrounds.

Tables & Chairs- There has not been anyone to manage the Tables and Chairs since December so Tomi and Larry volunteered to be in charge of this. Tomi will handle the emailing and phone calling while Larry will be checking the tables in and out.

Alliance Church- The Alliance Church has purchased the building that the Chamber Office is in and our lease runs until July of 2015. Pastor Dennis Findorff and Mark Billmeyer stopped by to visit about the rental agreement. The church would like to do some remodeling and wanted to know if we would be interested in giving up out lease sooner in return to rent the lot next to the building rent free for a few years. Discussion was held and it was decided to form a committee to look into purchasing a new building and getting it set up. The committee members are Craig, Corey, Frank, and Larry.

Sugarbeet Festival- Discussion was held about ideas for the theme for this year’s Sugarbeet Festival. Some themes were Honeybee’s, and fur trappers. Discussion was held and Keri made the motion to pursue the Honey bee theme pending verification from the honey bee farmers, Larry 2nd it. The Car show is set to come back for this year’s event as well.

Annual Report- Heather filed the Chamber’s annual report, and Kasie McIntosh is working on the taxes. The will need to be done by May 15th.

Community Connect-Heather read a letter from Triangle about the Community Connect program which offers free training courses to organizations and groups to help with customer service training and business development. Craig volunteered to work on setting up Customer Service Training/Business Development Training with Bear Paw Development in June. More information will be available at a later date.

Spring Cleanup- Tomi mentioned that she would like to not be in charge of the spring cleanup this year, and wanted to know if anyone else is interested. She will be talking to Rita Langford to see if she is interested in taking it back over.

Treasurers Report:
BPCU CTEP checking $14,669.05
BPCU Savings $25.05
FB Sugarbeet Festival $2,966.76
WF Operating $11,087.25
Chamber Bucks -$3,190.00 (these are still out, have not been redeemed)
WF Christmas Lights $537.00
WF Tables and Chairs $1,073.60
WF Water Tower Project $6.87

Bills were read and approved.
Keri moved to adjourn the meeting, Larry 2nd it, motion passed.
Meeting adjourned at 7:40 pm
Next meeting scheduled for May 14th at 6:00 PM at the Chinook Motor Inn.

TABLED ITEMS

Sandwich Board - We talked about making a few sandwich boards with some plywood - we inquired that maybe the school would be willing to make them if we asked.  Heather will contact Robin about this project as well.

Cell Phone Towers
- Fred Langford Property

Grant Writing
- Bridgette will get in touch with Heather once she is done with School.

Grants -
Heather brought to the groups attention that there is a couple grants that may be worth looking into - one being Northwest Farm Credit Services Rural Community Grant Program.  Heather has the paperwork if anyone is interested in writing it.

Festival of Trees - Decided to possibly make a stand-alone event with drinks/hoursdoeuvres.

LARGE SUGARBEET STATUE
- Colleen had brought a photograph of a large sugar beet that she had encountered in her travels and was wondering if something would be possible to add to our Visitors Center as a unique draw. We will be discussing later on when the building is complete and operational.

Notary Training
- Tabled at this time - do not know if we will have enough interest in it to justify bringing the trainer down.

Marquees - The PTO has decided to take some of the funds for the Marquees and use for another project. The Chamber decided to hold off on the marquees until we have a visitor’s center/rest area to place it at.

Lights on the Tower
Anita DePriest Magnuson sent Heather a cutout of a Newspaper Article from Junction City, Oregon where they have succeeded in lighting up their water towers with LED lights that can change and be programmed to move and rotate. It was agreed that it was a neat idea and would be tabled until we had available funding to do a project of that magnitude. Heather will contact Chuck and see if he is interested in spearheading the project. <http://junctioncity.kval.com/content/eugene-company-helps-light-junction-city-water-tower>.

Strategic Alliance of Montana Chambers - Heather contacted SAMC and notified them of our interest in the project. We will wait to hear from them on when we will be doing training in our area.

American Prairie Foundation
It was talked about at the meeting for our approach on this subject, and we decided to help encourage people to get educated on the subject and to express your opinion. The officers of the group decided to let the Stockgrowers and the CattleWomen do the public viewing of the movie with a speaker, etc. It was a unanimous opinion of the group that it will affect businesses and could directly affect each and every one of us. Heather will contact Lori Swanson.

Mural
Fran Hodgson sent Heather a link in July that showcased Cut Bank’s murals through town. She would like to suggest that Chinook look into it. The link is: <http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/92734869.html>. Tabled at this time.

Signs Outside of town
The signage has been tabled still since the input we received from Krystal Steinmetz regarding CTEP.  Heather will work directly with Krystal on this project

Comments are closed.