Home of the Sugarbeeters

Small Town Charm, Big City Ambience

Chinook, Montana
Chinook Sugarbeeters
Chinook Rod and Gun Club Gun Show will be October 7th and 8th.
Our Business After Hours Event is looking for Hosts for 2017, please contact Jennifer at (406) 945-7978 for more information.
Farmer Rancher Committee will meet at the Chamber office October 9th to finalize details for event.

2014 October

Minutes October 8th, 2014 6:00 PM PastimeCurrent Agenda reads as follows:

Treasurers Report-Jennifer Hellman
Bear Paw Battlefield-Heather DePriest
Fairground Improvements-Heather DePriest
CTEP-Heather DePriest
Chamber Building-Larry Surber/Craig Lowham
Parade of Lights/Festival of Trees-Attending:
Craig Lowham
Keri Hanson
Priscilla Heflin - Pastime Owner
Jennifer Hellman
Heather Depriest
Tomi Simenson
Larry Surber
Bonnie Weber

Guests:
Minutes were read and approved with changes.

Treasurers Report:
BPCU CTEP $47.62
BPCU Savings $25.05
FB SBF $5755.90
Chamber bucks -$3291.00
Wells Operating $6981.05
WF Christmas lights $537.00
WF Tables and Chairs $3628.60
Treasurer’s report was presented and approved.
Discussion was held about moving the Operating account over to First Bank because of the fees that
keep coming up at Wells Fargo. Larry moved to move the account over to First Bank and Bonnie 2nd it,
Craig did not vote, and motion passed. The directors will be the signers on the account.
Bonnie made the motion to accept the bills and pay them, Craig 2nd it, motion passed.

OLD BUSINESS:

Bear Paw Battlefield - Nothing new at this time.

Fairgrounds - There will be a special meeting October 16th to discuss the use of the arena and talk about
the lease agreements. Heather asked if someone would be present to represent the Chamber, and
Jennifer read the email from Wendy stating that the commercial building was not as clean as they would
have liked from the Sugarbeet Festival but chose to give us our deposit back anyway.

CTEP - There is no information new at this time, the project is on hold now until spring.

Sugarbeet Festival -The group discussed the outcome of the Sugarbeet Festival. It was agreed that the
festival was good considering the weather. Mitzi did a great job is on board again for next year. Thom
Maclean will no longer be in charge of the fun run so we will need to find someone to replace him. The
vendors however were not too happy about being stuck outside. Heather proposed her idea of the
Chamber purchasing large enclosed tents to set up for the vendors, discussion was held. No decision
was made at this time. Jennifer will also not be doing vendors next year, but thinks she may have found
a replacement. We discussed the parade and if the City may be able to write a letter to the editor about
the candy that is not to be thrown. This is an issue that we continue to have with floats throwing candy
off of their floats and they are not supposed to be. Keri will be talking to Keith to see what we can do.

Parade of Lights- Bonnie has agreed to take on being in charge of vendors for the 2014 Parade of Lights.
Nancy is not going to be in charge of doing the Parade so we will need to find someone to take that
over. Sara Paulsen’s name was mention because she did such a good job with the Sugarbeet Festival.
Parade prizes will include $300 for first place, $200 for 2nd place, and $100 for 3rd all in Chamber bucks.
Bonnie moved and Craig 2nd it, motion passed.

Festival of Trees- Garden club has agreed to organize the event again this year. Discussion was held
about the Festival of trees and when to end the bidding on the trees. It was decided that we would end
the bidding before the parade and announce the winners during the parade. Craig said it was ok to set
up the trees at First Bank again, and we will have a set up night like last year, but people can still come
and set up if they are unable to do so that night. November 17th will be the setup night. The Chamber
will be donation another tree again this year and it will be Beeter themed, Heather and Jenn will be in
charge of decorating the tree. Discussion was also held about where to donate the money. Heather
mentioned that “My neighbor in need” would be a great organization to donate to, along with
“Community Chest.” Larry made the motion and Keri 2nd it. Motion passed.

Chamber Building - The Chamber office is all cleaned out except for a couple of tables. We are still
waiting for Ron to get back from his trip so he can take down the cabinets. Larry mentioned that instead
of removing the cabinets, maybe we should check with the church and see if they would be interested in
them. Discussion was held. Keri made the motion to offer the Chinook Alliance Church to purchase the
cabinets for our cost and Larry 2nd it. Motion passed. Tomi volunteered to talk with Dennis Findorff
about them.
Meeting adjourned at 7:20 PM
Next meeting is scheduled for November 10th, 6:00 PM Chinook Motor Inn.

TABLED ITEMS

Sandwich Board - We talked about making a few sandwich boards with some plywood - we inquired
that maybe the school would be willing to make them if we asked. Heather will contact Robin about this
project as well.

Cell Phone Towers - Fred Langford Property

Grant Writing - Bridgette will get in touch with Heather once she is done with School.

Grants - Heather brought to the groups attention that there is a couple grants that may be worth
looking into - one being Northwest Farm Credit Services Rural Community Grant Program. Heather has
the paperwork if anyone is interested in writing it.

Festival of Trees - Decided to possibly make a stand-alone event with drinks/hoursdoeuvres.

LARGE SUGARBEET STATUE - Colleen had brought a photograph of a large sugar beet that she had
encountered in her travels and was wondering if something would be possible to add to our Visitors
Center as a unique draw. We will be discussing later on when the building is complete and operational.

Notary Training - Tabled at this time - do not know if we will have enough interest in it to justify bringing
the trainer down.

Marquees - The PTO has decided to take some of the funds for the Marquees and use for another
project. The Chamber decided to hold off on the marquees until we have a visitor’s center/rest area to
place it at.

Lights on the Tower
Anita DePriest Magnuson sent Heather a cutout of a Newspaper Article from Junction City, Oregon
where they have succeeded in lighting up their water towers with LED lights that can change and be
programmed to move and rotate. It was agreed that it was a neat idea and would be tabled until we had
available funding to do a project of that magnitude. Heather will contact Chuck and see if he is
interested in spearheading the project. <http://junctioncity.kval.com/content/eugene-company-helpslight-
junction-city-water-tower>.

Strategic Alliance of Montana Chambers - Heather contacted SAMC and notified them of our interest in
the project. We will wait to hear from them on when we will be doing training in our area.

American Prairie Foundation
It was talked about at the meeting for our approach on this subject, and we decided to help encourage
people to get educated on the subject and to express your opinion. The officers of the group decided to
let the Stockgrowers and the CattleWomen do the public viewing of the movie with a speaker, etc. It
was a unanimous opinion of the group that it will affect businesses and could directly affect each and
every one of us. Heather will contact Lori Swanson.

Mural
Fran Hodgson sent Heather a link in July that showcased Cut Bank’s murals through town. She would like
to suggest that Chinook look into it. The link is: <http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/92734869.html>.
Tabled at this time.

Signs Outside of town
The signage has been tabled still since the input we received from Krystal Steinmetz regarding CTEP.
Heather will work directly with Krystal on this project

Comments are closed.