Home of the Sugarbeeters

Small Town Charm, Big City Ambience

Chinook, Montana
Chinook Sugarbeeters
Business After Hours will be hosted by State Farm from 6-8pm May 4th, 2017
Our Business After Hours Event is looking for Hosts for 2017, please contact Jennifer at (406)945-7978 for more information.
Next monthly Chamber of Commerce Monthly meeting will be Thursday April 13th at the Chamber office just south of the Chinook Eagles Club. Please come and share your valuable input.

2013 May

Minutes May 10th 6:00 P.M.-Chinook Chamber Building

Current Agenda reads as follows:
Bear Paw Battlefield - Heather DePriest
Fairgrounds Improvements - Heather DePriest
Treasurers Report - Jennifer Hellman
New Garbage Cans (In Front of Eagles - Need 2 More)
Chamber Trailer - Pigtails and Jack/Tire and payment
Garret McHenry Baseball/Softball tournament BBQ- Jennifer Hellman and Heather DePriest
Spring Cleanup-Tomi Simenson/Valley Clovers 4-H Club
Sugarbeet Festival- Rita Surber
Set dates for meetings-Jennifer Hellman/Tomi Simenson

Attending:
Larry Surber
Rita Surber
Tomi Simenson
Nancy Demiert
Jennifer Hellman
Heather DePriest
Jay Eslick

Guests:
Lori Swanson
Justin Simenson

Minutes were read and approved

OLD BUSINESS:

Bear Paw Battlefield - Nothing new to report, still unaware of any progress.

Fairgrounds -The commercial building is under construction at this time. Barry Murnion and his crew are doing the work. When he is finished we will be putting in two new insulated overhead doors. Heydon’s will be doing this project. A grant was submitted for two heaters and a generator. They are expecting to be done by June 1st.

Garbage Cans
- Ben Parsons will make them and we will pay him and buy the garbage cans that go inside them.

Chamber Trailer/Pigtails- Larry had to send the jack back, should be getting a new one soon and will finish working on this. It was also decided to pay Larry half for the trailer now and half at a later date. Heather moved to pay Larry $1,500 now and the other $1,500 later. Motion passed.

Bear Paw Roundup- Justin Simenson announced that the Bear Paw Roundup Rodeo committee is looking for sponsors for their annual rodeo in June. Tables and chairs will be needed for the Thursday night Silver Spur dinner, so it was discussed to include those in our sponsorship. Heather made a motion to donate $1,000 to the committee-$850 sponsor and $150 in tables and chairs. Nancy 2nd it. The rodeo committee will also be renewing their chamber membership; Justin will be getting the info to Jennifer for that.

NEW BUSINESS

Garrett McHenry Memorial Tournament- A date is set for June 28-29th, discussion was held about doing a BBQ during the tournament, we will be looking into it.

Spring Cleanup- Tomi Simenson and the Valley Clovers 4-H Club will be putting on the annual Chinook Spring Cleanup, a date was set for June 15th from 8am to 12pm. Prizes will be given away at the end and it was discussed to have Chamber Bucks as the prizes. Nancy moved to have the Chamber donate $50 in Chamber bucks to the winners. Lori 2nd it, motion passed.

Rod & Gun Club- Rod and gun club will be hosting a gun show the 1st weekend of October and is need of tables and chairs for this event. Heather moved to give the tables to the Rod & Gun Club at a Non-Profit price. Jay 2nd it, motion passed.

Donation to Rod & Gun Club- the Rod and Gun club will be hosting their annual fishing derby on June 8th. It was discussed to donate a prize to this event. Jenn made the motion to donate $50 in Chamber bucks and Jay 2nd it, motion passed.

Advertising-Tricia’s Trader and Bear Paw Livestock have been contacting Tomi about advertising, it was decided that we would do so closer to the Sugarbeet Festival.

Stockgrowers- The Montana Stockgrowers Association wants to put on their team sorting competition during the Sugarbeet Festival. Days and times were discussed and it was decided that Saturday morning would be a good time and soon enough that it would be done in time for the parade.

Sugarbeet Festival - It was decided that we would go with “Wild Wild West” for the Sugarbeet Festival theme. Ideas for the day include a cowboy shooting, a cowboy movie after the BBQ, kids stick horse race. Heather will be looking into the grant criteria.

Audit-Heather reported that the Audit went great and that no money was unaccounted for.

By-Laws-
Heather also reported that it would be a good idea to read over the Chamber’s by-laws and revise them. Lori made the motion and Jenn 2nd it.

Signs outside of town-
Lori brought up the signs outside of town, this has been tabled for now and there is no new information at this time.

Pens-
Jenn read a letter that we received from Jerry Barbee who is collecting pens to try and set a world record.

Family Business award-The Chamber will not be nominating anyone for the Family Business award this year.

Tables for FFA- It was agreed upon that the money that was paid for the tables would just be used for the $150 non profit rate and then the rest used as a credit in the future.

Hands on history-
The Hands on History group is looking to come to Chinook during the Sugarbeet festival where they will set up at First Bank. Rita will be looking into this.

Vendors and parade-
Jenn is looking for help with the vendors and the parade during the Sugarbeet festival, Tomi volunteered to help her with this.

TV
-Jay will be setting up the new TV

Chamber Members-Heather also reported that we now have 113 members paid, 17 new members, and 32 we are awaiting payment from.

Treasurers Report:
BPCU Savings-$25.05
BPCU CTEP - $ 14,652.46
FB - Sugarbeet Festival - $9,060.89
WF - Operating - $13,820.17
WF - Christmas Lights- $145.00
WF - Tables and Chairs - $470.00

Meeting adjourned at 7:30 P.M.

Next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, June 12th at 6:00 at the Eagles

TABLED ITEMS

Sandwich Board - We talked about making a few sandwich boards with some plywood - we inquired that maybe the school would be willing to make them if we asked.  Heather will contact Robin about this project as well.

Cell Phone Towers
- Fred Langford Property

Grant Writing
- Bridgette will get in touch with Heather once she is done with School.

Grants -
Heather brought to the groups attention that there is a couple grants that may be worth looking into - one being Northwest Farm Credit Services Rural Community Grant Program.  Heather has the paperwork if anyone is interested in writing it.

Festival of Trees - Decided to possibly make a stand-alone event with drinks/hoursdoeuvres.

LARGE SUGARBEET STATUE
- Colleen had brought a photograph of a large sugar beet that she had encountered in her travels and was wondering if something would be possible to add to our Visitors Center as a unique draw. We will be discussing later on when the building is complete and operational.

Notary Training
- Tabled at this time - do not know if we will have enough interest in it to justify bringing the trainer down.

Marquees - The PTO has decided to take some of the funds for the Marquees and use for another project. The Chamber decided to hold off on the marquees until we have a visitor’s center/rest area to place it at.

Lights on the Tower
Anita DePriest Magnuson sent Heather a cutout of a Newspaper Article from Junction City, Oregon where they have succeeded in lighting up their water towers with LED lights that can change and be programmed to move and rotate. It was agreed that it was a neat idea and would be tabled until we had available funding to do a project of that magnitude. Heather will contact Chuck and see if he is interested in spearheading the project. <http://junctioncity.kval.com/content/eugene-company-helps-light-junction-city-water-tower>.

Strategic Alliance of Montana Chambers - Heather contacted SAMC and notified them of our interest in the project. We will wait to hear from them on when we will be doing training in our area.

American Prairie Foundation
It was talked about at the meeting for our approach on this subject, and we decided to help encourage people to get educated on the subject and to express your opinion. The officers of the group decided to let the Stockgrowers and the CattleWomen do the public viewing of the movie with a speaker, etc. It was a unanimous opinion of the group that it will affect businesses and could directly affect each and every one of us. Heather will contact Lori Swanson.

Mural
Fran Hodgson sent Heather a link in July that showcased Cut Bank’s murals through town. She would like to suggest that Chinook look into it. The link is: <http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/92734869.html>. Tabled at this time.

Signs Outside of town
The signage has been tabled still since the input we received from Krystal Steinmetz regarding CTEP.  Heather will work directly with Krystal on this project

Comments are closed.