2013 March

Minutes March 6th - Pastime Lounge - 7 p.m.

Current Agenda reads as follows:
Signs Outside of Town - Committee - Chuck Hewitt/Kelcey Diemert/Max Hofeldt
CTEP - Keith Hanson/Heather DePriest
Bear Paw Battlefield - Heather DePriest
Fairgrounds Improvements - Heather DePriest
Treasurers Report - Jennifer Hellman
New Garbage Cans (In Front of Eagles - Need 2 More)
Chamber Trailer - Pigtails and Jack/Tire
Audit - Jennifer Hellman
Justin Simenson - Bear Paw Roundup
SBF May 3rd, 4th, and 5th - Larry Surber
Garret McHenry Baseball/Softball tournament BBQ- Jennifer Hellman and Heather DePriest
Beads that were purchased for the banquet- Jennifer Hellman
Deb Davies
Spring Cleanup-Rita Langford

Attending:
Larry Surber
Tomi Simenson
Jenn Hellman
Jay Eslick
Max Hofeldt
Heather DePriest

Guests:
Bruce Butcher

Minutes were read and corrections were made on the Treasures report.

OLD BUSINESS:

Signage
Tabled until fall.

CTEP
Tabled until later, however discussion was held about requesting money for signs after sidewalks were finished.

Bear Paw Battlefield - Nothing new to report, still unaware of any progress.

Memberships - Memberships are finished and were sent out. Banquet invitations will be sent on post cards instead of in letters.

Fairgrounds - No new information at this time.

Garbage Cans - No new information at this time.  Talked about possibly needing more.

SEGP Grant - Heather talked about purpose of grant money and what it will be used for.

NEW BUSINES

TV for the Visitors Center - Jay found one and will be picking it up, we will set it up at next Chamber meeting.

Books - Heather reported that she talked to Kasie Mcintosh about the audit, and it that she cannot be compensated in any way for doing the audit. A date was set for Tuesday March 19th at 7:00 p.m. at American Garage, where Kasie will go over the books with the Board.

Chamber Trailer/Pigtails- Larry will be finishing up.

Bear Paw Roundup Sponsorship- Justin Simenson was unable to make it to the meeting, but the Bear Paw Roundup is looking for sponsorship from the Chamber. It was decided that we wait until after April to see what we get in for Memberships.

Annual Banquet - Jay reported everything was good to go. We were unable to find a speaker.

Sugarbeet Festival - Discussion was held about themes to use, ideas included Utilities, and Burlington. Decided to contact the railroad about this possibility and research and decide next meeting. We also asked Larry if his wife would be interested in being in charge again this year.

Treasurers Report:
BPCU CTEP - $14,647.03
FB - Sugarbeet Festival - $9,060.89
WF - Operating - $3,970.34
WF - Christmas Lights- $145.00
WF - Tables and Chairs - $470.00
WF - Water Tower Project - $5.43

Heather reported that accounts were merged on Quick Books, and which accounts should be closed. Decided to keep Operating, tables and chairs, Sugarbeet festival, and CTEP

Heather read a letter from Russell County, from Shannon VanVoast.

It was discussed to put an ad in for the Travel Guide. It will cost $400 for full page, inside cover. Max moved to used Sugarbeet Festival grant money, and to use it to advertise for the Sugarbeet Festival. Bruce 2nd it.

Rob Reed over paid on his Sugarbeet sponsorship. It was decided that we would talk to him and keep his money on account for next year’s membership.

It was decided that payment to Heather for work on the website would continue, as well as to Tomi for position of secretary, Bruce moved to pay Heather $50 per month for website work, and $100 to Tomi for Secretary, Max 2nd it. It was also discussed about buying a new printer for Tomi, or having things sent to the journal instead.

Heather read an email from Vibrant futures about a two day rural design workshop that would be taking place, deadline is March 5th.

Heather read an email stating that the Governors Conference would be taking place March 24-26th if anyone is interested.

Heather read an email about a Grant for Small communities, National Endowment for Arts, will possibly be finding someone to write the grant for this.

Heather also read an email from the MT Department of Labor stating that Montana Employers will see a Decrease in Their 2013 Unemployment Insurance Rates.

Meeting adjourned at 8:26 p.m.

Next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, April 10th-7:00 p.m. at the Chamber Office

TABLED ITEMS

Sandwich Board - We talked about making a few sandwich boards with some plywood - we inquired that maybe the school would be willing to make them if we asked.  Heather will contact Robin about this project as well.

Cell Phone Towers - Fred Langford Property

Grant Writing - Bridgette will get in touch with Heather once she is done with School.

Grants - Heather brought to the groups attention that there is a couple grants that may be worth looking into - one being Northwest Farm Credit Services Rural Community Grant Program.  Heather has the paperwork if anyone is interested in writing it.

Festival of Trees - Decided to possibly make a stand-alone event with drinks/hoursdoeuvres.

LARGE SUGARBEET STATUE - Colleen had brought a photograph of a large sugar beet that she had encountered in her travels and was wondering if something would be possible to add to our Visitors Center as a unique draw. We will be discussing later on when the building is complete and operational.

Notary Training - Tabled at this time - do not know if we will have enough interest in it to justify bringing the trainer down.

Marquees - The PTO has decided to take some of the funds for the Marquees and use for another project. The Chamber decided to hold off on the marquees until we have a visitor’s center/rest area to place it at.

Lights on the Tower
Anita DePriest Magnuson sent Heather a cutout of a Newspaper Article from Junction City, Oregon where they have succeeded in lighting up their water towers with LED lights that can change and be programmed to move and rotate. It was agreed that it was a neat idea and would be tabled until we had available funding to do a project of that magnitude. Heather will contact Chuck and see if he is interested in spearheading the project. <http://junctioncity.kval.com/content/eugene-company-helps-light-junction-city-water-tower>.

Strategic Alliance of Montana Chambers - Heather contacted SAMC and notified them of our interest in the project. We will wait to hear from them on when we will be doing training in our area.

American Prairie Foundation
It was talked about at the meeting for our approach on this subject, and we decided to help encourage people to get educated on the subject and to express your opinion. The officers of the group decided to let the Stockgrowers and the CattleWomen do the public viewing of the movie with a speaker, etc. It was a unanimous opinion of the group that it will affect businesses and could directly affect each and every one of us. Heather will contact Lori Swanson.

Mural
Fran Hodgson sent Heather a link in July that showcased Cut Bank’s murals through town. She would like to suggest that Chinook look into it. The link is: <http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/92734869.html>. Tabled at this time.

Comments are closed.