2011 August

Minutes August 10th, 2011 at the Pastime Lounge - 7:00 p.m.

Current Agenda reads as follows:
Report on Signs Outside of Town - Committee - Chuck Hewitt/Kelcey Diemert/Max Hofeldt
Visitors Center - Heather DePriest/Larry Surber
CTEP - Heather DePriest
SBA Nomination Letter to Crystal Baker - Heather DePriest
Chamber Office Sign - Heather
Sugarbeet Festival Reports - Rita Surber/Heather DePriest
Treasurers Report - LuAnn Burkhartsmeyer
Calendar of Events Emails
4-Wheeler Raffle Progress
Fairboard Meeting Report on Tables and Chairs Storage/Use
Chamber Brochure Reprinting
Planters on Main Street
Winter in the Blood Film Report

Members Attending:
Larry Surber
Heather DePriest
Rita Surber
Jay Eslick
Frank Pehrson

Guests:
Harold Miller
Yelena Miller
Allen Pula

Minutes were read and approved as stood.

NEW BUSINESS

Sugarbeet Festival
So far, Rita has received $9,400 in Sponsorship money and $300 from the Wishing Well.  So far, there are 12 sponsors for the wishing well at $25 each.  The sign racks are in and have been placed around town with posters on them, and Jude is working with a group of ladies putting together a display in the front of the Museum.  Vendors are coming in, the Car Show chair Allen Pula said they would be having a Swap Meet this year at the car show.      Suggestions for the parade marshall were:  Martin Williamson, Mary Pyette and Rod Sodregren.  The Hall of Fame Competition is where the person who participates the most will get their name on a plaque, gets to be first in line at the Barbeque and gets a free drink at every Chamber meeting.  The look-alike contest is getting lots of attention as well with the Beverly Hillbillies theme.  Rita has been doing an excellent job organizing and the Chamber thanks her!

Winter in the Blood Film
Progress is being made on the film.   More to report on at the next meeting.

Calendar of Events Emails
Is anyone interested in implementing this?

Clean-Up Day
Rita Langfords report was read and we voted to schedule another Clean-Up Day this fall to do the Highway for our Adopt A Highway Program.  Heather scheduled it for October 22nd and she will contact the Highway Department.

Brochures
Heather and Deb Davies contacted Russell Country and they have funds available for printing.  They will work on the details.

Tables and Chairs for the Angus Tour
Larry reported that we are in need of help relocating the Tables and Chairs from the Angus Tour back to Chinook for the festival.  Any volunteers would be welcomed.

OLD BUSINESS

Blaine County Cruise
Harold Miller and Allen Pula reported on the Blaine County Cruise and its success - they stated the businesses supported them very well and that there was one small issue with a bumper on a loaned atv from Tillemans.  Chet Fouts borrowed the vehicle from them and he said they are working out the repairs of it right now.  There were approximately 60 cars and they have great photos from Mary Pyette and Rhea Miller.  Heather will post them to the website when she receives them.  The group decided on a formal name as the Blaine County Cruisers and they would like to be added to the Chamber site as an organization.

Visitors Center
We need to get together sometime after the fair and put the visitors center together.  Schedule a day at the next meeting.

Signage
No report on the progress at this time.  We are waiting until our 4-wheeler raffle is over and the Sugarbeet Festival money is in.

CTEP
The prioritized list of sidewalks have been done and sent to Krystal and Lorraine.

ATV Raffle - Tickets were sold at the Fair in the Commercial Building and they have been very slow this year.  It was discussed of the issue with the Fairboard regarding the derby.  The Chamber will be meeting with the Fairboard at the next meeting to discuss the issue in full.  It was also brought to our attention that the Fairboard is looking to purchase Tables and Chairs and we voted to propose to the board to utilize ours at the Commercial building with the provision of the Chamber being in 1st position to have them and lease them out.  We will discuss this with the Fairboard at the next meeting as well.

Restaurant Issue
The restaurant issue was discussed again, but no further comment or discussion.

Treasurers Report
Operating - $5496.05
Tables & Chairs - $298.35
Xmas - $24.97
Beet Fest - $63.74
Blaine County Cruise - $2697.24

Meeting adjourned at 8:15 p.m.

TABLED ITEMS

LARGE SUGARBEET STATUE - Colleen had brought a photograph of a large sugarbeet that she had encountered in her travels and was wondering if something would be possible to add to our Visitors Center as a unique draw. We will be discussing later on when the building is complete and operational.

Notary Training
- Tabled at this time - do not know if we will have enough interest in it to justify bringing the trainer down.

Marquees - The PTO has decided to take some of the funds for the Marquees and use for another project. The Chamber decided to hold off on the marquees until we have a visitors center/rest area to place it at.

Festival of Trees
Heather spoke about the possibility of adding a Festival of Trees fundraiser for the Chamber in December and thought it would be a nice addition to the holidays. She would like to see businesses donate a tree and put gifts underneath of it and auction them at a dinner type setting. Tabled until next year.

Lights on the Tower
Anita DePriest Magnuson sent Heather a cutout of a Newspaper Article from Junction City, Oregon where they have succeeded in lighting up their water towers with LED lights that can change and be programmed to move and rotate. It was agreed that it was a neat idea and would be tabled until we had available funding to do a project of that magnitude. Heather will contact Chuck and see if he is interested in spearheading the project. <http://junctioncity.kval.com/content/eugene-company-helps-light-junction-city-water-tower>.

Strategic Alliance of Montana Chambers - Heather contacted SAMC and notified them of our interest in the project. We will wait to hear from them on when we will be doing a training in our area.

American Prairie Foundation
It was talked about at the meeting for our approach on this subject, and we decided to help encourage people to get educated on the subject and to express your opinion. The officers of the group decided to let the Stockgrowers and the CattleWomen do the public viewing of the movie with a speaker, etc. It was a unanimous opinion of the group that it will affect businesses and could directly affect each and every one of us. Heather will contact Lori Swanson.

Lambing and Calving Tour
Is in progress - Heather will contact Christie to see if she needs any help with anything.

Restaurant Issue
There has not been any report on the issue at this time. Max will report on at the next meeting.

Comments are closed.